What do you want in a design?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What are the core things you want to see in a design?

free bbt

Reaction score
What type of "design" are you refering to?

website logo?

Clean but eye catching and memorable. Something that is clearly, memorably, associated with your product or service.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am referring to the entire look of a Web site. What makes the look of a Web site good or bad?

smithee

Reaction score
  • Not too many bright colours, especially as a background
  • Only use two or three colours in the entire website, and perhaps with varied tones if required
  • Alignment is important; try to create content where images, text, buttons, etc line together with each other either horizontally, vertically, or both
  • Limit the size of the index page so it will be entirely shown on most computer monitors
  • On the other pages, make sure the main information can be seen on most monitors instead of the user having to scroll down for it
  • Simple yet effective logo... this can be as important as the site itself
  • Easy navigation, with a "tree-like" structure somewhere on the pages everytime you click on a sub-link (like "Home > About Us > Staff"); this will allow users to jump back to a specific page with ease
  • Use whitespace effectively; it doesn't always have to be filled
  • Easy to use! If it ain't, then I will guarentee you that the user will exit the site within 8 seconds

They are things you should do... and for those that you shouldn't, it's completely the opposite of what I've just said

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information...

Anybody else have ideas?

kkenny

Reaction score
Something clean, yet uses nice colors. Something that doesn't make you forget, something unique like, when you go onto Digg.com it's a new idea, you digg cool stuff, and you bury crappy stuff. You want something that's different from the rest of the pack, so you can offer something no one else does. That will bring back your visitors.