What ever happened to space sims?

thebabyhater

Reaction score
I happen to love space sims. I'm a huge fan of the wing commander series, and I love Freelancer and X3 (a LOT).

I wonder why space sims have lost popularity? The only modern one I can think of is X3, which is pretty much the best one out there period, but it's still sad. We get a new FPS every five minutes but a good space sim about every five years.

I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with gamers becoming less "intelligent" about their choice of games. A good space sims take a lot of thinking - you trade, you dogfight realistically (i.e. the enemies that outnumber you will win), and most of all, it takes time. I think most people nowadays just want to shoot. :(

Any thoughts?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, other than Orbiter, I wouldn't know what happened to the space sims. I'm not a big player of simulation games, but I will pick up on them now and again.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the gamer demographic's shifted heavily towards "if it isn't FPS, I don't want it," with the main exception being Starcraft 2.

That being said I would LOVE to see something like X3 again, cept the part where it didn't run on my pc and the control list was so damned complicated... Thats why I liked freelancer - easy controls, just jump in and fly/shoot/kill/trade/whatever strikes your fancy :)

freenetter

Reaction score
Elaborating on what Livewire said, I think most gamers today want action, action action - fast paced shooting games or role-playing games that involve killing people, not attacking spaceships. I don't agree with the majority trend, and still love simulation games for that alternative type of playing experience with a lot less violence and usually, a lot more story or plot to it.

Speaking of modern space sims, Sins of a Solar Empire is quite good. That was released quite recently in 2008.

There's also Homeworld 1 and 2, released in 1999 and 2003, respectively. If you're thinking of online play, I don't know how many people still would play it online.

Finally, there is Freespace 2. Released in 1999, the game still has a number of avid fans who play it, both single-player and online, I believe.

Links to find out more info on the above games

Sins of A Solar Empire
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sins-of-a-solar-empire

Homeworld 1 and 2
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/homeworld
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/homeworld-2

Freespace 2
http://www.hardlight.net
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/freespace-2

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not calling SoaSE a space sim, it's essentially a space-based RTS but it's more RTS than space - can't take control of an individual ship and control it with my now-outdated X45 flight stick :p

Of the ones you linked, Freespace's the only one that's actually about piloting the individual ship; Homeworld's a slower RTS than SoaSE but they're both still RTS's :(

Edit: I should clarify, I'm defining Space Sim as Flight Sim In Space based off the games of choice in the OP's post - Wing Commander, Freelancer, and X3 all involved taking control of your main ship (possibly controlling wingmen but you're still only in total control of your own ship) like you would a Piper Cessna in the MSFS series :)

Last edited:

deadmaus

Reaction score
I happen to love space sims. I'm a huge fan of the wing commander series, and I love Freelancer and X3 (a LOT).

I wonder why space sims have lost popularity? The only modern one I can think of is X3, which is pretty much the best one out there period, but it's still sad. We get a new FPS every five minutes but a good space sim about every five years.

I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with gamers becoming less "intelligent" about their choice of games. A good space sims take a lot of thinking - you trade, you dogfight realistically (i.e. the enemies that outnumber you will win), and most of all, it takes time. I think most people nowadays just want to shoot. :(

Any thoughts?

If you love space sims and havn't tried EVE-Online you dont know what you are missing.
I've been playing it 6hrs a day for 4 years and still love it!

It has a steep learning curve but well worth the perseverance.

Last edited:

ofpower

Reaction score
If you love space sims and havn't tried EVE-Online you dont know what you are missing.
I've been playing it 6hrs a day for 4 years and still love it!

It has a steep learning curve but well worth the perseverance.

EVE online is superb, I've been an addict for awhile, in fact i'm here to host my corps website, well my alt's corp website :p

Another good one that seems to be like freelancer that is coming out is jump gate evolution.