What exactly is file hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oppiman86

Reaction score
Where does personal use end and file hosting starts?

e.g. I upload some files that I have created for my personal use and availability because I trust my own web site more than any cloud service.
Is that file hosting?

or, I upload a few vacation pictures to share with my relatives (limited number of people) on a htaccess protected web page.
File hosting or not?

or, parts of my web page are not publicly linked, only a few friends know the links and I like to keep them private.
File hosting?

or, I have created some freeware programs (not malicious, all clean, just little helpers) and I have a download page on my web site with some explanations.
File hosting?

and finally for learning purposes (script programming) I upload some free available scripts (zip files) and play with them, but not all are necessarily in use.
File hosting?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of the list, the only ones that I can see being major concerns are the first one and the third one (not publicly linked). That said, the users you're likely seeing me mention were suspended for "File Hosting ZT" were suspended by admins on a recent run-through of the servers, and each was more than a little in violation of that section.

That said, for the first one I'd try to avoid it if possible, on the third one it'd likely be fine as long as it's kept within reason.

The one about custom software is a perfect example of the File Hosting clause working -for- your benefit though - the clause details this:

. Downloads are only allowed on your x10Hosting account if they have to do directly with your website. e.g. you developed custom software and are selling it or giving it away.

If you made a download page with explanations for those little freeware apps, they're covered and protected (barring violations of warez or copyright infringement).

In general though, a few files in violation won't normally cause problems. The ones getting hit for File Hosting were either way over the line, or had a few extremely large file (one suspended 2 nights ago by me had four 5gb disc iso's on his account, which also broke copyright).

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking - it saves a lot of confusion in the long run :)

Status
Not open for further replies.