what is a iframe

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I think an iframe is a new(er) version of the frame. It basically sets an internal link to another page which is viewed in the page its embedded in according the the parameters set. I wouldn't use iframes, they are messy and out of style anyways...I think you can get the same results with php, or simply have the information you want in the HTML file. Hopefully that is right, never worked with frames so i'm not 100 percent sure.

VPmase

Reaction score
iFrames make sites slower. I don't recommend ever using them. Use well scripted divs instead.

tittat

Reaction score
Using iframe??
I DON'T recommend using iframe, it is less professional and more over search engines hate it.
If you could please say what you are trying to accomplish, i can give you some alternate solutions.

dbojan

Reaction score
Yes avoid using iframes, everything can be done without them.

goldy30

Reaction score
I had to make a site for Tafe which included using an iframe. You basically set the width and height of the frame which is a tag like this <iframe></iframe> and from there you can give the iframe a src to another page so when your page loads, the iframe will open the external page into the same page.

You can also include links with a target to the name of the iframe which can open other pages into your current page without reloading the whole page.

The guys here are right. Google cannot read the content of the external page and therefore will be usless for seo. I'm not sure about other negativity with iframes but you can see what I done for tafe if you like.

The only active links on the page are on the right hand side navigation... "Tees" and "Shoes". The rest of the links are inactive. This website was made only for iframes, slide show in header and should have included design principals. See my site here

nightscream

Reaction score
well it's handy if you don't know ajax and want to do something similar but else it sucks.

Infinitalias

Reaction score
thanks , and im going with the popular DO NOT USE replies im getting!!!

if you guys have any alternative ideas on how to clean the site up so its more organized ( the people in the review my site area said it was) please private message me@!! thanks again

sanfreda

Reaction score
These people are mostly right: in general, you should not use iframes for all the reasons they have stated. However, there are certain times when an iframe is actually the correct thing to use. It does have a purpose. I am currently in the middle of working on a site that I use an iframe in.

Whether or not you use an iframe really depends on what you're trying to do. If you are making some kind of template system, php would be my first choice, followed by javascript. Iframes are not good for that.

It's just a case of knowing the rules, then learning when to break them :)

Infinitalias

Reaction score
thanks ben , i dont think it is a good thing to use the i frame for my site casue im trying to speed the site up , not slow it down...

alcramer

Reaction score
iframes can be useful. You shouldn't use them to format static html: tables & cells are the right to do that instead of iframes. But if you're building a web app that requires the notion of "session", you may need to use frames to 1. preserve/manipulate state info on on the client side; and/or 2. give your app decent visual performance. So for example: suppose you wanted to make a multi-party chat/Instant Messenger web app, with a single server and multiple clients. Can you do that without using some kind of frames (iframes, framesets) on the client side, in such way that the user's entire page doesn't reload on update? (I don't think so, but if you know how to do this, I'd love to hear you solution).