What's more effective and or more power fuller

• Direct X Series

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • OpenGl Series

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

deathdroid

Reaction score
Just wondering what people opinions are on which is more efficient and better graphics.

I know for instance DirectX is not multi platform unlike opengl is.
But on the other hand i think Direct X is a lot more powerful and able to deliver more graphical features.

Like to hear your views

Cheers

firesteel

Reaction score
I voted for OpenGL, primarily because it is an open standard API, portable across multiple operating systems. DirectX is Microsoft's proprietary API, and obviously available only on Windows platforms. I have no idea which API is more efficient, but I am aware that OpenGL is more often used in professional graphics software, whereas DirectX is primarily used in gaming applications.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I voted for OpenGL, primarily because it is an open standard API, portable across multiple operating systems. DirectX is Microsoft's proprietary API, and obviously available only on Windows platforms. I have no idea which API is more efficient, but I am aware that OpenGL is more often used in professional graphics software, whereas DirectX is primarily used in gaming applications.
So really, you answered the wrong question!

mattura

Reaction score
DirectX has more optimisation
OpenGL is focussed on being open and multi platform etc, so anyone can use it. So some optimisations cannot be performed.
So DirectX is faster

Nathan H

Reaction score
I agree with mattura, DirectX is designed for use on one specific system so it will in no doubt be more efficient because it can rely on capabilities that are only available in certain environments. While openGL is cross-platform, its just not as optimised as Dx, it can run on anything, but not as well.

Laurimann

Reaction score
I used to program on DX 7 and 8 but during the time that's passed since the last time i did i've started favoring OpenGL more and more for two reasons: it's open source AND cross-platform. Suppose i was a professional in the video game industry i'd probably use DirectX because it's natively supported by the world's widest spread OS AND it can utilize certain hardware more efficiently.

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
it depends on a users choice but when it comes to gaming i think direct x is alot more better for gamers since most games now take avantage of it. for example FSX from microsoft uses dx10 to render the graphics of most airplanes and airports but you would have to pay a price to render them at their maximum output. even crysis was a big controversey. so thats my 2 cents there.

firesteel

Reaction score
So really, you answered the wrong question!

Well, I offered my opinion based on my limited experience with both API's. One seems to be preferred for professional graphics rendering, and the other for game rendering. Two API's and 2 different schools of thought, with each possibly better suited for certain tasks and applications.

My personal preferences will always lead me to an open source solution, if one exists.

Your snarky statement, however, addressed nothing the OP asked.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm a DirectX person mainly because I'm a gamer. There's only a very select few applications that I run that use OpenGL. Back when I had Windows 98 however, I had a crazy amount of apps that I used daily that used OpenGL.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
Direct X becoase i dont see alot of game manufactures advertising their games with open GL

vol7ron

Reaction score
I would say Direct3D/DirectX is more efficient, at least it provides a lot more functions than OpenGL. Something I've noticed is that games used to be in OpenGL and then turned to DirectX-only, such like Counter-Strike. I can also add that many games that used OpenGL had many more hacks as they used external programs that were able to overlay and manipulate the graphics/data, rather than be embedded into the programs. This could be why there was a sudden push from OpenGL to DirectX7/8

Eventhough OpenGL may be cross-platform/open-sourced, this is not like a Windows vs Linux difference. DirectX has a lot more features than OpenGL has, and really, OpenGL just doesn't have the manpower to keep up at the moment.

Last edited: