What is high resource usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tideas

Reaction score
Account just got suspended for high resource usage. What does that mean? This is the first time I got this, and my website is just wordpress and simple machine forums.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It means your user name used too many resources causing it to be suspended. We have turned resource monitoring back on today. Too many people were taking advantage of the server's resources.

-Corey

Tideas

Reaction score
But what does "resouces" entail? Like, is it BW? Or something else?

jsobeck

Reaction score
Resources could mean bandwidth, or server CPU, most likely the latter due to everyone needing it, so if you use a high percentage of it everyone loses speed.

Tideas

Reaction score
interesting, so I just checked the announcement, and apparently, it could be forum usage and addons?

Hmm, haha. Are the paid plans affected by this new change?

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Multiple metrics are used to determine your account's server resource usage. Some of the more factors within the 'formula' are your overall CPU usage, overall memory usage, amount of processes running, time, and the CPU/memory usage of each individual process.

Tideas: The resource usage script only applies for free hosting accounts.

Tideas

Reaction score
Is there a way we can tell how much resources we are using up? I might consider switching to the developmental plan, but the diskspace is kinda small.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
There is currently no way for users to tell.

Tideas

Reaction score
Corey, is there a staff member I can talk to in private with regards to the developmental package? Like PM or something? Rather not talk about it in public.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You can PM me with any questions about it.

Tideas

Reaction score
hah, okay. Just didn't want to get ban cuz you said not to pm staff anymore

Parhelion

Reaction score
Is there anything you can recommend users doing to cut back on CPU usage? I got hit up with this just a little while ago, and my site only has about four visitors.

We have been doing a lot of uploading and administrative work trying to get the place set up, though, and we were going to need to make light use of the Xoops CMS (with forums, news, and a form of weak wiki) for what we plan on using the site for.

rockthecasbah

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about my high resource usage.

I have literally had my account suspended three times in the last 2 days. My site gets about 10 daily visitors. Yes, ten.

And the first time I got suspended, I was finishing editing a post in Wordpress and clicked save. Then right after that, suspended.

Second time, I clicked to "manage categories" in Wordpress admin, then suspended.

Just now, I clicked to my Dashboard in Wordpress admin. Suspended.

Is it just me or the suspensions for high resource usage rather arbitrary? I didn't do anything but do a few clicks in Wordpress admin panel. I could understand forum scripts or high traffic sites but my site is a lame Wordpress blog that pretty much only has me visiting it!

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Does your WordPress blog have huge pictures? Or pictures that have high resolutions? These all "eat" into your bandwidth. If you have 2 pictures of 2 MB on a page, that means you have used up at least 4MB of your bandwidth, without taking into consideration the rest of the page and scripts and CMS.

So if you get 10 visitors to that page, then it means it's already 40 MB of bandwidth used up. And that does not include the bandwidth you use while transferring the files.

Sometimes it's the poorly written code that causes the problem. So it's hard to tell.

rockthecasbah

Reaction score
Does your WordPress blog have huge pictures? Or pictures that have high resolutions? These all "eat" into your bandwidth. If you have 2 pictures of 2 MB on a page, that means you have used up at least 4MB of your bandwidth, without taking into consideration the rest of the page and scripts and CMS.

So if you get 10 visitors to that page, then it means it's already 40 MB of bandwidth used up. And that does not include the bandwidth you use while transferring the files.

Sometimes it's the poorly written code that causes the problem. So it's hard to tell.

Nope. Here's the site referenced: www.awesomeness.net/blog
All my photos, besides the header, are hosted on free image hosting sites. Not to mention, my entire site is a text based site, that is, I use it for writing purposes only.

As well, I've never had my blog go to suspension while BROWSING the site itself. It has ALWAYS been when clicking through the Wordpress admin panel. Always. In the middle of the night too (after midnight, usually after 1 am EST). So needless to say, I don't think it has anything to do with the blog itself or the coding there but something to with any sort of movement in the Wordpress admin panel.

Editing an entry and clicking save, clicking to the Dashboard or manage categories. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it gives me the suspension page right after clicking to said link. Which is why I said it seemed arbitrary.

*Note* I also don't have any cron jobs. In fact, I am not even sure what they are but a similar thread below mentioned cron jobs using up resources, so I just thought I'd state for the record: I don't use cron jobs.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Since we answered the OP I'm going to close this. We raised the rating system of the high resource usage so it's a little harder to set off now.

Status
Not open for further replies.