What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

briapv

Reaction score
Bitdefender of course and :thefingerall people who's using Karpersky or AVG

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
I used to use Norton 360 but I thought it was a bit rubbish (didn't give me the control I wanted) so I am currently using McAfee. :)

vulcan

Reaction score
I'm using avast for both my Fedora and windows boxes...
If you want to learn more try removing your current AV and installing other software...just for trial...
you will be shocked indeed.

booksgo

Reaction score
I'm using Comodo.

I used AVG for years but it has turned into bloatware and slowed everything down and didn't prevent an infection.

abish

Reaction score
I think it seems that,
Avira internet security suit is the one that runs low load and good protection
also avast will be next bcoz it can offer bootscan.

but i hate kasperesky because it need lots of memory and ...

Norton 360 2 is stable

for light corporates may be suit the symentech corporate edition but now it gone to be paid. early it was free.

bitdefender not yet tested.
in some purticlar cases avg is not so bad.:bsflag:

taha116

Reaction score
AVG ownz... love thier link scanner, their free and have a nice simple interface!

warrenware

Reaction score
I have used Norton, McAfee and AVG free, My favorite is AVG.
It has a great automatic update feature and costs nothing to download & update.

zen-r

Reaction score
.... My favorite is AVG.
It has a great automatic update feature and costs nothing to download & update.

As far as I can see, AVG is currently only available as free for the 30 day trial period.

I've used several a/v's over the years, but find it hard to compare them because they're all gradually evolving.

I'm currently using Kaspersky a/v which is built into ZoneAlarm security suite.

Of course, "anti-virus" isn't the correct term nowadays. What we actually mean & need is "anti-malware" - because there are all sorts of hostile software to worry about besides just viruses.

I'd recommend scanning your system/ individual files with more than just 1 product, because they can all miss different nasties. It generally isn't a good idea, though, to have more than 1 product running in the background at the same time, because they can clash or slow down your system. So one needs to invoke the different scans manually when needed.

Lavasoft AdAware is a good program to search for spyware, as a back-up to your main program. It comes in free & paid-for varieties.

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As far as I can see, AVG is currently only available as free for the 30 day trial period.

I've used several a/v's over the years, but find it hard to compare them because they're all gradually evolving.

I'm currently using Kaspersky a/v which is built into ZoneAlarm security suite.

Of course, "anti-virus" isn't the correct term nowadays. What we actually mean & need is "anti-malware" - because there are all sorts of hostile software to worry about besides just viruses.

I'd recommend scanning your system/ individual files with more than just 1 product, because they can all miss different nasties. It generally isn't a good idea, though, to have more than 1 product running in the background at the same time, because they can clash or slow down your system. So one needs to invoke the different scans manually when needed.

Lavasoft AdAware is a good program to search for spyware, as a back-up to your main program. It comes in free & paid-for varieties.

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​
Did you know that if you switched to Linux you wouldn't need to worry about AVs anymore? ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
That's correct. I'd have to worry about using Linux - a far bigger concern.

Now please take all your Linux nonsense back to where it belongs (& continue to get your backside whipped by Twinkie) :biggrin:

zygzag

Reaction score
I use my brain and sygate firewall :naughty: Haven't been infected for years.

Divinorum

Reaction score
Nod32 is the ultimate best.

Beats the **** out of kaspersky, and anyone can get a free key for it.

Nod32 ftw.

dexodro

Reaction score
I have used Avira AntiVir Personal for the last 3 years backed up with SUPERAntiSpyware and MBAM, and have not had any problems. So, imho, it's one of the best. I used to use AVG, but then they changed everything so I dropped it.

frins

Reaction score
In my opinion, I prefear Esset 32. It's lightweight and reliable, the databases are updated every day and it has a very good firewall. That firewall is a bit complex but very complete.

fakeit

Reaction score
I used to use Norton, Kaspersky, NOD, Avast Home.
Kaspersky is the most sensitive to new threats but CPU&memory usage is quite big.
NOD is resource-friendly but not so effective.
Avast is simply free, and i had no problems with it.
So, if paid - i'd go with kaspersky, if free - avast.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
First is an abundance of caution. I trust nothing, even from 'trusted' sources (ie e-mail). If someone sends me anything, I make sure they tell me separately what and why. And then, if it originated from a third party, I often refuse to open it. If I must, I often use an old spare computer to sandbox it just in case.

Second are AVG and Avast. They are free and very good.

frins

Reaction score
Yes, sure Kaspersky is better than Nod32. And it's a very good suite that provides a good security, it doesn't use so many resources and very fast and reliable.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Kaspersky is indeed good... But I know of a better way to never get viruses, it's quite simple.... Don't use Windows! lol xD

alighaemia

Reaction score
Kaspersky is great. If you are concerned about performance, NOD32 seems to be the way to go, but Kaspersky is a close second.

I've heard good things about Avira Antivir but never actually tried it.

Hated the free ones...

:dunno: