What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

sedesign

Reaction score
Ive always used norton so id have to go with that tbh, never had any problems with it and the 2010 version seems pretty lightweight, but i am running a pro gamer machine now lol

fearnet

Reaction score
Ive always used norton so id have to go with that tbh, never had any problems with it and the 2010 version seems pretty lightweight, but i am running a pro gamer machine now lol

Yep I am using NIS 2010. I have tried KIS 2010 and BTS 2010. I didn't like bit defender much (the settings some how kept getting messed up), Kaspersky is good but it does tend to slow down some compared to Norton. And Norton has come a long way from being a resource hog. Its now the fastest, most efficient security software on the market.

Although I have seen viruses that Norton can't remove (detects but cant remove and you need customer support help) where as Kaspersky can remove the same virus easily...buts that rare. And Nortons customer support is amazing! :D

This thread was made in 2008 and is now old, which is why the polls don't really add up to taday's security software.

Edit: Those using AVG free edition, beware, It shows A LOT of false positives and stops A LOT of (legit) programs from running. It is a nuisance for many people I have seen complaining in many forum. I don't really know about the premium one, I used to use it long time ago, don't know about its status now....

Last edited:

minitechme

Reaction score
Before AVG 8 came out, I would say AVG because it was quick at searching and stopped all viruses. Plus, it didn't slow down my computer. AVG 8-9 have been slow and bloated, they drag down my computer with them, they take over 6 hours to scan my computer, my computer usually crashes while scanning, there are 2 minutes (not exaggerating) between when I click the icon and when it opens... ew!

ThreatFire is definitely the best. Although it doesn't fully qualify as antivirus software.

EDIT:
And they're both free.

EDIT:
Oh, and I use AVG free, never had any false positives.

Last edited:

ezandew

Reaction score
Some people don't know that you can get the best anti-virus for FREE! AVG beats all because it:

- Checks every download or new file on your computer.
- Checks the whole computer in the background for an hour at lunch time.
- Has many other components, including an email scanner, spyware protection, and updates in the background at lunch time whenever there is one!

And better yet, it's FREE!

Don't waste your money on a different anti-virus, when you can get a better, free protection: AVG!

E&E

minitechme

Reaction score
Like I said, it's a good antivirus, but unlike you, I most certainly do not recommend it. It's much too slow. Get ThreatFire instead!

wave42

Reaction score
I myself recommend, AVIRA (not on the list).

Can be easily customized when it comes to detection, since its heuristics scanner i a bit sensitive O_O

Last edited:

hezuo

Reaction score
I prefer ESET SmartSecurity, it's pretty stable and keeps viruses away. I've tried Avast, and it doesn't protect the pc as needed. As I have to transfer data among several public computers at school (which almost of all them are infected), I need something that can detect the thread before it infects my pc, and SmartSecurity does.

evmdude

Reaction score
I use TrendMicro on my pc and it works well. I like that its not a resource hog like Macafee. I know people that use AVG free.. they get hit by viruses on a weekly basis ans refuse to get something else.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I use TrendMicro on my pc and it works well. I like that its not a resource hog like Macafee. I know people that use AVG free.. they get hit by viruses on a weekly basis ans refuse to get something else.

Can agree with you here. I always try to suggest either Avast or at the very minimum Avira to them. One of the two best anti-virus software you can get for free. Microsoft Security Essentials is great as well. Still has some work to get with updating their definitions on a timely manner.

adessobastadavvero

Reaction score
Can agree with you here. I always try to suggest either Avast or at the very minimum Avira to them. One of the two best anti-virus software you can get for free.

Right! But avira is lighter (in RAM consumption) and is better against false positives.

Edit:
This test seems to prove the opposite: http://dottech.org/freewaresr/14151
But I'm sure I've switched from Avast to AVG to Avira for RAM idle usage.

Last edited:

darzamora

Reaction score
I have been using many AV's before but Eset - NOD32 is still the best antivirus so far...

energeeuk

Reaction score
Hi

At the moment i'm using avast free edition which i think is amazing, i used to work for a computer maintenance company and most of our customers use norton, but when the machines start playing up we had to go in and install AVG free edition which in turn found hundreds of viruses that nortan did not pick up, we would remove them and then un-install AVG. Now all the customers have moved over to AVG and have no problems at all. I found a few resource probelms with AVG thats why i moved to the next best thing(in my opion) Avast

Reaction score
I used to use Panda, but then all of a sudden it started acting up. I had to reinstall it several times because I couldn't get it working by turning it on and off and rebooting also didn't help.
My parents used McAfee, which was also a pain looking at the problems my parents had. So I decided to not use a payed anti virus anymore, with the hope free alternatives might offer a bit better service and reliability (and if they wouldn't, I wouldn't have lost anything). After reading a lot I found Comodo and it seemed to have the complete package including firewall and stuff. I've been using it for quite some time now and though it's a bit whiney at times I like it a lot. It seems pretty resource friendly, but I honestly don't care so much for that. Todays computers are so powerful it doesn't really matter for me.
My parents are now using avast and I personally don't like it at all, but I guess it's just the interface that I just don't like. At least it's a whole lot better then McAfee ever was.

Last edited:

icywind335

Reaction score
Always Remeber!: An anti-virus software is a gateway also for the virus to enter... I hope you got what I mean... Hahaha!

Last edited:

lynnwood

Reaction score
I used to buy Trojans when I was single...

they're malicious?

I am not sure how you Windows users can walk around with those things.

;)