What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2010 right now. I had severe issues with Norton Antivirus 2008, where it kept locking up during scans, and consuming a huge amount of system resources. From the 2009 version, they definitely made major improvements and it became quite lightweight.

Pulse updates deliver the latest definitions every few minutes and behavior protection from SONAR is quite useful. Norton SafeWeb help provide search engine and site ratings (similar to other services like SiteAdvisor and WOT).

Norton has had very bad ratings in the past, but I say they improved a lot and learned from their mistakes.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
2007-2008 was a bad year for many paid A/V solutions so it seems. So many issues with bad and slow software.

paint2010

Reaction score
In my opinion, Kaspersky is a great anti-virus solution. I tried Bitdefender, but it lagged my computer. Overall, I never had any problems with viruses. It's also good to have backup, though. I use the free Microsoft security essentials solution. It always helps with malware that may be downloaded along with files I normally download for school, projects, etc. I remember having Norton, but I always faced problems with it. Still, Kaspersky is the best solution I ever tried.

krofunk

Reaction score
I chose avast, for someone like me that rarely uses windoze a free solution is more than welcomed.

amirishere

Reaction score
Re: What is the Best AntiVirus? - Help those indecisive

I haven't had and anti-virus for the last 4 years. I have used process explorer to personally monitor and kill viruses, and it has worked most of the time.
Just remember, 1- never click that flash, and 2- windows firewall is your friend as long as you don't want to play multiplayer games or do network file sharing.

threedee

Reaction score
I use Avira. I wouldn't say it is the best (as this is what the title of the thread is), but something I prefer using. I haven't used a lot of other AV products, except of Norton, McAfee, NOD, AVG, and Avast. But at least I'd say, based on my experience, I find that Avira is able to detect and update their database faster. And also I haven't gotten so much compatibility issues using certain software with the AV blocking them, although this is more of a big issue with Norton for me.

gauravs9085

Reaction score
Norton is best overall and also low on system resources.
In free antiviruses i will recommend Avira and avast but not AVG because of its low detection rate and crappy engine.

deeahn.gee24

Reaction score
AVAST ftw !
2nd place for me goes to eset nod32

and i highly recommend that no one ever uses Norton, one of the worst pieces of software i have ever came across.

anish177

Reaction score
Re: What is the Best AntiVirus? - An analysis

Kaspersky is good and is having award winning performance. Bu use of system resource is little more.

Bitdefender is also good but don't have so much popularity among others and resource usage is high

NOD 32 works better and have comparatively less system usage and better detection rates.

Mcafee is also good but system usage is little more. (Enterprise edition when installed in maximum protection mode detects more and provided better protection)

Norton is well known internationally accepted and good. Little system usage extra.

Trendmicro is known for the immediate response on virus outbreaks.

AVG is well known for the world class free protection system.

Avast is having good detection rates and works better in comparatively low configuration systems also.

Others softwares are also having their own unique features. A user can choose according to system configuration, pricing and usage.

knockoutjams

Reaction score
I have used Norton. It was too system intensive. I did not understand why an anti virus application was using a lot of my real estate.

I then switched to ESET Smart Security, which was fine..for a while until I realised it wasn't able to detect some worms and trojan software. Its disinfection processes also rendered most of my executables non-executable.That was a drat!

I am now still on Bit Defender 2009. Yep, havnt moved up to 2010 yet. So far, I am loving it. So many intricate security features and a very aggressive anti viral application. Basically with the Security Suite, I do not need a firewall, anti virus, back-up software, file encryption software, parental locking software e.t.c

Bit Defender is doing it for me so far and its passing with flying colors.

renr3n

Reaction score
The power of the cloud is far superior than the traditional anti-viruses. Since so many people are connecting to the internet, good and bad guys. I use it in my own advantage. I use Panda Cloud and Immunet in my XP machines. They are cloud-based and will most probably run with your current anti-virus.

technogramp98

Reaction score
I repair, and refurbish computers as a side job of mine. I mainly use AVG 100% of the time. If a customer wants Mcafee or norton or something else, i show them some of my flyers i have made showing AVG reviews, AVG beating out the competition, and point out the fact that they can get the free version and if they are willing to pay AVG for for it full versions that its better than the others.

AVG has saved so many computers of mine, and my customers.
The 2nd i would recommend is Avast.

groupe AVG with Spybot Search and destroy. Firefox with NoScript and adblock plus and you will be surfing with out any worries...oh and ZoneAlarm...cant forget a firewall =p

efrenbautistajr99

Reaction score
I prefer Avast.. Low in resources.. Fast Reliable and easy to use.. 2 years and never have been infected.. :)

sclewin7

Reaction score
Now that I use Linux I do not have much use for Anti-virus, but if I still used windows I would most defiantly still be using Clamwin. It is a great high end award winning Anti-Virus that is Open Source!

http://www.clamwin.com/

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
AVG is best with a few minor bugs:

Detects the java update Downloader as a virus
Detects my game as a virus (for some reason :/)
Detects CS3 as a virus sometimes

~John

mikester

Reaction score
Throw in my vote for Avira's Anti-vir. I've had to clean up way too many infections on AVG 'protected' machines , and both Norton and Mcafee products are so bloated and so resource consuming that they both should be considered viruses themselves.

teamjinjo70

Reaction score
I'm using KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY 2010 and it's the best :) It's not allowing any viruses to get into my PC :)