What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Eset Smart security.
This is the reason why.
Key Benefits

Built on the award-winning NOD32 antivirus and antispyware engine, ESET Smart Security stops most new threats proactively, well before other vendors have issued a signature, maximizing your defense against new and unknown threats.

* Integrated antispam and personal firewall keeps your online life safe and cleans Internet traffic and email, even when it's SSL-encrypted.
* Stops threats from entering through removable devices so you can share files with confidence
* Integrated SysInspector and SysRescue simplify system diagnosis and recovery
* Self defense prevents malware from degrading your level of protection
* Tiny signature updates happen discretely as needed and won't bog down your system
The following link is giving more information on how eset wins over its competetion
http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition

Regards
VVBB

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi!

Avast Free Edition is probably the best Antivirus that I have come across.

It is highly modular. So, some of its services can be disabled when needed without crashing the app or the OS..

It has high detection rate.Probably best in the industry!

Though I would have loved to see Script blocker in free version too.

More importantly it has Boot-time scan (works for 32 bit OS as of now), helps shedding some pesky viruses.

Finally, it is FREE !

prototypedesign33

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of Comodo's security suite. It's easy to use, includes all the bells and whistles, and it's free. Better yet, it's free in its ultimate variety, and often ranks quite well in comparisons of both performance and security.

I like how it's simple to just install it on every new computer, and every week or so see the scan pop up and run, and know you're secure.

The heuristics and user-feedback based security features are nice, too, since it's great to know you're protected from infected files as they come, not if they meet the exact same pattern as others.

On occasion, I'll double up with Spybot, which is admittedly more of an anti-spyware/malware thing, but helps with the anti-virus too.

I never take good care of my computer, download pretty much everything I see that isn't illegal, and I haven't had one die except by graphics card failure or hard drive failure in a decade, and then I wasn't using Comodo.

Similarly, you can fine-tune the features too, meaning that you can turn real-time detection on or off (which consists both of scanning on program start up and on file downloads) without having to compromise security in areas where you need it most. The fine-tuning is really spectacular, and in combination with the rest of Comodo's suite is a great boon.

I'll admit that it false-positives really often (but at least it permits you to recognize stuff as a false positive and flag it to be ignored on less strict settings), and it doesn't hunt down stuff you don't want that isn't absolutely harmful (basically it has to be something nobody wants for it to be removed), but Comodo can be a lifesaver.

homoaddictus15

Reaction score
I've used Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESS, Norton and Avira over the years but I have to say that Comodo Internet Security, with it's default deny system, is the best I've ever used.

Regular users may not like it at first, but when you get to understand the way the "default deny system" works, you will never fear getting a virus again. If you want to understand the system before trying it, just go to www.comodo.tv they got a lot of videos visually explaining how it works.

Advanced users will love this security suite. I did.

My Rankings:
1. CIS
2. Kaspersky
3. ESS
4. Avira
5. Bitdefender
6. Norton

jmixmaster29

Reaction score
If you're on Windows, I think Microsoft Security Essentials is the best.

It's not that resource intensive, doesn't inject itself everywhere (like Norton), and works well. It's always kept me away from viruses, unlike AVG which let me get a virus even though it was running.

Last edited:

v4xde

Reaction score
I am now using Avast since last November, and it looks prety good.
v

slowmassacrelabz24

Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good. Kinda stinks you have to have your MS OS certified, but if you have that, then it's pretty cool. Updates pretty easy, configurable, has a right-click scan. Surprised it wasn't in your vote list.

tfteam

Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good. Kinda stinks you have to have your MS OS certified, but if you have that, then it's pretty cool. Updates pretty easy, configurable, has a right-click scan. Surprised it wasn't in your vote list.
Probably because it isn't that well accepted by the majority of users, me included.

firedavid98

Reaction score
i use microsoft security essentials also. its great imo because i don't even notice it unlike some other av's that constantly have update messages and other notices always popping up.

i dont really need an av because i know what i'm doing when using a computer and don't visit sites that i dont trust. but i have it just in case

dark69slayer

Reaction score
I don't know why people love AVG so much , all i have to suggest to AVG users is to remove the AV temporarily and instal KIS and do a full system scan and see the result .

paint2010

Reaction score
i use microsoft security essentials also. its great imo because i don't even notice it unlike some other av's that constantly have update messages and other notices always popping up.

i dont really need an av because i know what i'm doing when using a computer and don't visit sites that i dont trust. but i have it just in case

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, in my opinion, are the best two for malware. My school network is flooded by viruses because of the proxy-users going to infected sites and from the little population of students who have brought the viruses to the network via USB, both accidentally and intentionally.

Everyone needs an anti-virus though. Even if you know what you're doing, it's best to have one as a reinforcement. If you happen to plug in an infected USB without any prior knowledge of what the USB may contain, it's nice to have some backup from an anti-virus that instantly detects the USB and removes any infections before they can become dangerous.

Anyone here ever used or currently use ESET? I tried it before, but I didn't like it. It could never pick up viruses when I knew there was one on my computer. It was updated all the time.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Reaction score
there are a lot of antivirus software out there. However I would say from my own standpoint, that a good antivirus needs to be very light, very complete when it comes to online protection. so I guess there's quite a lot to tell. I've been using the latest version of ZenOK Free Antivirus and it's working for me.

throughmymind75

Reaction score
I, likewise, have tried most Anti-virus software...I was quite happy with Norton until it started doing weird things to my internet like a installing a seperate driver for it's "LiveUpdate" feature. I then tried Kaspersky until I got tired of it asking me permission for evening opening Word. Still, I managed to find a good Anti-Virus after some searching: Avast! It's not heavy like Norton and not over-protective like Kaspersky, but it still has some rugged features that make it a very stable and good Anti-Virus

Last edited:

brecht_vandevoort90

Reaction score
I don't think there will be a big difference between the antivirusprograms you have to pay for, such as norton, mcafee, kaspersky...
I've got AVG, for the simple reason that it's free to use. it will not be that good as a paid antivirus program, but it is useful. and i also use other programs for scanning my pc every month.
also, if you're a starter on internet, you better buy a antivirus program. but if you're not a person who clicks on every link he sees, it's not that dangerous. in short, use your mind
I've even got another pc without antivirus connected to the internet, and it never had one single problem.(it also could be some luck, off course)

henk506673

Reaction score
Re: What is the Best AntiVirus? - Help those indecisive

I would say that avast antivirus is the best, does not slow down your pc and is basicaly paid protection for free.

htech

Prime Account
Reaction score
All of the anti virus software packages from reputable companies work and can do the general anti-virus tasks.

I used to have Norton installed on all of my computers, but the resources that it used were huge and the computers slowed down so much. Two or three years ago I switched all of the computers over to Avast! antivirus and now they run so much faster. Even our 10 year old XP computer has sped up massively, making it usable again.

Now whenever anyone asks me which antivirus software to get, I always recommend Avast. Its fast, small footprint and its FREE, but with the support of a large company behind it.

hnagroups48

Reaction score
Its My Personal Opinion That Avast Is The Best Free Antivirus Out There In The Market.
If You You A Sandboxie With Avast Then I M Sure That No Virus Can Infect Your Pc.