What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

jan.edmund44

Reaction score
I use winclam for windows, have used this antivirus for nearly a year now, it's free and open-source, updates daily, uses very little resources especially if you have a slow PC and limited budget, never had an issue since I installed it, from time to time I check my system with other anti-virus software, really no need, my system is clean

What I like about it, is much the same as x10 is controlled and maintained by dedicated members

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
That's how I felt about my macbook LOL

Unfortunately for Mac users, they're also starting to get hit with what Windows has been getting hit with for years. The most prominent worm out there right now going around for MacOS can be stopped simply by either not using Safari, or by setting Safari to not auto-open safe downloads, so the 'sploits aren't to that extreme yet, but they will probably in the near future be getting much worse.

Last edited:

jodoloy

Reaction score
I personally love and use Malwarebytes. I also occasionally use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Darkmere

Reaction score
I have noticed that ESET was not listed. ESET is one of the first antiviruses out there and is still used by the US DOD and many other governments worldwide. ESET also holds world records for the most viruses detected and most secure (meaning there is less viruses that can actually circumvent the software.) Also in school they say ESET is good because when choosing a virus scanner you want one that is not well known because usually Viruses are made specifically to circumvent your well known virus scanners.

simon.evanz48

Reaction score
Hello,

My views on good Software based Anti-Virus and Firewall software (2011)

I have to say that over my many years of fixing systems and installing various versions of Windows OS's and testing different combinations of AV/FW packages separately or in combination that I have to say I have always found ESET products great to use intuitive GUI and also an higher than average heuristics detection on malicious code, lack of false positives, etc.

Furthermore, the Firewall Leek tests that I have performed over the past iterations of ESET Smart Security x3, x4 and now x5 have been steadily getting better by each pass.

By better I mean the way that they have developed their core-AV-engine has evolved to keep pace with current trends in the security field and now adding the Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) brings with it a much welcomed addition to making this an higher-end business or SME product.

Now, If I am to go as far as to say ESET/NOD32 is the bee's knees at AV Detection and firewall protection I would be lying..

I will say this however, as nicely as possible, There are other products on the market which out perform ESET and offers much better "Additional" features that ESET just doesn't provide.

AVG, PANDA and more notable Bit-Defender comes to mind...

Things such as, preventing ID Theft / "Secure" Backup to the cloud / and also products which Score better on Firewall probing & leek test results, yes, Kaspersky is one such product which is ahead of the curve and is also considered "|337" in certain circles.

Call me paranoid but ever since the Son (Or whom ever it was) of the kaspersky Antivirus developer got kidnapped and ransomed off; I have kept a healthy distance from any kaspersky products due to the fact that I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps the reason behind this act was to gain insider knowledge of the inner workings of the well known Antivirus Developer algorithms so as to enable the select few who know this information to be better able to exploit it in the wild. and make kaspersky firewall bypass kits or something to that effect.

I don't know maybe I am just a bit too paranoid but I never really liked the Firewall features of kaspersky anyway..

So, the only other thing to really consider when trying to pick a decent Antivirus or Antivirus and Firewall combo bit of kit is to test its operating footprint performance wise. How much RAM doe it occupy how well are the algorithms coded, What is the time it takes for them to roll out a Fix for a 0day exploit..? well, in answer to some of the above its simple; Unless you are running your own businesses or a mission critical application that needs enterprise level security AND performance you should be looking else where than besides the desktop products marketplace. ESET Smart Security 4 and the latest v5 Beta works fine on all versions of the Microsoft platforms albeit a tiny bit sluggish on Windows XP 32-bit with under 1GB RAM. If you can cope with that or have a spec that is beyond this then look no further.. ESET Smart Security 5 is good enough and a joy to use providing you have setup your Zones and Firewall rules correctly, oh yeah and set up the PS3 media server settings correctly its all good baby..

If you want to try something else go and see what ZoneAlarm are up to these days, I keep hearing good things from those guys alternatively if you got the bucks go check out what Cisco / Netgear /Mcafee Ent. products are available.. You can always build your own Hardware based Firewall by grabbing the latest Distro of Devil-linux and using up that old PC that you are using as a Telephone stand in the corner of your room.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sry but me favorite Antivirus programm is not listed!

Btf mine is Microsoft Security Essentials and it free for everyone!

Simply choose the "Other" choice then in the poll. I think the user who made this thread ran out of poll options they could set.

Murphy65

Reaction score
Its good if you hawe safe compuet and i use Norhon Internet Securety its a just good its hold you computer safe and clean, i buy one year license and i dont hawe no problems with that everything is cool. So if someone plan to buy some license for own computer safely i recomened to buy Northon its a are ust good!

Ok its my options Be Cool! :D:tongue:

Darkmere

Reaction score
Its good if you hawe safe compuet and i use Norhon Internet Securety its a just good its hold you computer safe and clean, i buy one year license and i dont hawe no problems with that everything is cool. So if someone plan to buy some license for own computer safely i recomened to buy Northon its a are ust good!

Ok its my options Be Cool! :D:tongue:

You are the first I have seen that praise Norton lol ... it is by far one of the worst. We benchmark-ed it here at school and on one pass it missed over 32 viruses not to mention trying to get rid of the program is nearly impossible you have to download a special uninstaller from the company itself

micahraney56

Reaction score
Yeah. Norton and McAfee are what I would try to avoid. I don't understand why all the votes aren't going to BitDefender. I have it and have actually gotten a virus and ol' BitDefender wiped it out! (Not to mention how many viruses it catches every day).

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm moving this to Computers and Technology. Antivirus software doesn't really give scope for a "well thought discussion".

Darkmere

Reaction score
Yeah. Norton and McAfee are what I would try to avoid. I don't understand why all the votes aren't going to BitDefender. I have it and have actually gotten a virus and ol' BitDefender wiped it out! (Not to mention how many viruses it catches every day).

Probably because BitDefender is extremely heavy and doesnt catch as many as ESET or Vipre

DanielWhite

Reaction score
You are the first I have seen that praise Norton lol ... it is by far one of the worst. We benchmark-ed it here at school and on one pass it missed over 32 viruses not to mention trying to get rid of the program is nearly impossible you have to download a special uninstaller from the company itself

Of course it is easy to hand select a set of viruses for a test and get your desired results (in this case Norton failing).

Fixed tests are always inaccurate and flawed.

I quite like Norton Internet Security, and it has really improved over the years. The 2012 beta is also extremely highly rated.

However, I ended up using Comodo Internet Security now as the subscription rate for Norton was kinda big.

wolf99

Reaction score
Avast all the way! its better than Norton even the free version, not a resource hog
better than McAfee pro for startup times, better than many of the others for install and uninstall and also on virus detection AND removal

have never used Nod32 or kapersky, though kapersky has been recommended to me in the past, some have told me its started to go downhill recently

gouri78

Reaction score
not a single 1 ......... i like quick heal total security
it is best and all rounder.

jensenajob22

Reaction score
an independent recent danish consumer-studie showed avast to be 'best' - there are however a neck to neck run with avg. 'best' is also subjective, and the problem of false positive was not adressed.