What is the Best AntiVirus?

Which do you think is the best AntiVirus?

• Kaspersky

Votes: 126 20.2%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • Eset Nod32

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • McAfee

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Nortorn

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • TrendMicro

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • AVG

Votes: 122 19.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 125 20.0%
  • CA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • F-Secure, PCTools, Webroot, Panda or Other

Votes: 47 7.5%

• Total voters

zaq.sr163

Reaction score
Been using Avast for years - never let me down!

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I feel your research has overlooked one of the finest (if not the finest) antivirus applications, Avira Antivir. Avira's product has wickedly good virus, trojan, and worm detection and removal, rootkit detection and removal, and few, if any false positives. It also has a fast on demand scan engine and provides background scanning as well. Daily definition updates too. Resource usage is resonable with no detectable loss of productivity on my midrange laptop.

I've tried and used SNorton AV, Symantec Corporate AV (which is very good, unlike the Norton piece of tripe targeted for home users), Kasperski (excellent!), AVG, Avast!, Nod32, MacAfee, and CA, on both personal and corporate machines. At work, I have to use what is provided (Symantec Corp), but for my personal pc's, it's Avira Antivir Premium on everything. Their product just gets better and better with each version.

I'd rank AV's something like this:

#1 Kasperski AV (good, but expensive)
#1.5 Avira Antivir Premium
#2 Avira Antivir
#3 Symantec Corporate AV (not likely you'll get to play with this one, unless you encounter it at work)

Everything else I just lump together as "also rans", mostly due to short comings I felt I couldn't live with in an AV.

I have been considering Avira. It was voted one of the best all-round in a PC magazine test (think 2009/2010 issue) which i recently browsed when waiting @the Dentists. I do agree with some comments about Avast throwing up some false positives, but experience in this regard has been very rare using Avast.

Reaction score
nah the antiviru program you will need is Advast and malware those are the 2 i use non stop and they stop trojans and everything else getting through

attaesc78

Reaction score
I'm not too fond of AVG [really annoying] and hate Norton and McAfee [for transparent reasons].

I haven't tried Avast (I think I have but it was over ten years ago, so my memory isn't good enough to form an opinion on it), but I will say that I like Avira a lot.

it isn't annoying while maintaining the security of my computer.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are using a "genuine" copy of Windows, there's really nothing better right now than Microsoft Security Essentials. Bash MS all you want, but it's the best combination of light weight (you can actually work while it's scanning) and definitions/heuristics going right at the moment. Google's already got site safety built into the Chrome browser, so I don't miss the one feature of AVG that made it such a good product.