What is the best Open Sourced CMS?

dweng

Reaction score
I am currently using Joomla
However i would like the opionion of others becuase i am quite new with open source cms. My question to you all is that: Which one would do you feel is the best out of all the open sourced cms. I mean like which ones would be easy to use, for users who are starting out and just want a random website with random stuff on it.? Thank YOu for your support
The options are:
xc_dotgrey.gif
Drupal
xc_dotgrey.gif
Geeklog
xc_dotgrey.gif
Joomla
xc_dotgrey.gif
Mambo Open Source
xc_dotgrey.gif
PHP-Nuke
xc_dotgrey.gif
phpWCMS
xc_dotgrey.gif
phpWebSite
xc_dotgrey.gif
Post-Nuke
xc_dotgrey.gif
Siteframe
xc_dotgrey.gif
TYPO3
xc_dotgrey.gif
Xoops

kajasweb

Reaction score
Beginners feel easy with Joomla and Mambo. After gaining some experience, you can switch to Drupal for more advanced & complex sites.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
NE is not open sourced!!!!!!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nukeevolution/

Licensed under the GPL (Gnu Public License).

Sounds like it's open source, isn't the GPL open source, and Source Forge itself limited to open source projects?

I'm downloading and extracting in a bit to see if I'm mistaken.

Edit: Think I maybe misunderstood the GPL, seems the GPL might just be related to releasing stuff for free. In any case I can see the source code and its definitely on Source Forge, so...Dunno whether I'd call it open source or not.

One things for sure: I can see its code, dunno how legal it'd be for me to mess with it though.

Last edited:

tcrow777

Reaction score
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nukeevolution/

Licensed under the GPL (Gnu Public License).

Sounds like it's open source, isn't the GPL open source, and Source Forge itself limited to open source projects?

I'm downloading and extracting in a bit to see if I'm mistaken.

Edit: Think I maybe misunderstood the GPL, seems the GPL might just be related to releasing stuff for free. In any case I can see the source code and its definitely on Source Forge, so...Dunno whether I'd call it open source or not.

One things for sure: I can see its code, dunno how legal it'd be for me to mess with it though.
No, your were right, I just happen to be a semi-expert on the GNU General Public License (GPL) (being involved in several projects), "Free software" is a term that means "free as in freedom" (a lot of confusion with that term), you can even release software under the GPL for money, but the source code must be freely available, you can even fork a GPL project.

shaunak

Reaction score
I am using Drupal.
Its lighter and more customisable than all other Cms's

disturbedart

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest i love E107, it may because i code for it and also do some layout work for it, but its ability to be changed and modified easily.
Also the table layout and the efficiency of support, themes and mods by other users is great the CMS has many capabilities and has amazing potential. I recommend it to many of the people i do services with, also its very good for clans as it comes with plugins such as league tables, match arrangers and organizer. The Templates are also great epically from akirapowered also clan templates are very popular on E107.
If you really want something easy to use and to play around with i recommend it: www.e107.org
Also if you need a hand with it give me a shout.
But overall i like its ability over the rest of the CMS out there.

DisturbedArt

coolv1994

Reaction score
i dont use a cms but i would have to say joomla cause of its simpleicity

Ultras RBA

Reaction score
I used to like PHP Nuke but it uses too much space - it's really easy to understand. The admin panel links "do exactly what they say on the tin".

I want to use Joomla but I can't for the life of me figure out the administration panel.

But I'd rather just keep to my xhtml/css pages for now anyway, so much easier for everyone involved on my site.

Jesse

Reaction score
e107 because it is easy to use and understand.