What is the best Web CMS?

mcklovin

Reaction score
What is the best Web Content Management System?

Whats the best, most functional web CMS?

Last edited:

aionline

Reaction score
Re: What is the best Web Content Management System?

At the top of my list are Joomla! and Drupal. Both has its own strengths, so it really depends upon your need on which CMS you choose to use. :)

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I like Joomla the best. It has a nice UI and is easy to use.

If you want to test out different systems before you use it, go to http://www.opensourcecms.com/ they have loads of different CMS that you can test out.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I haven't used many, but I would say that Joomla is the best CMS that I have used. You should try doing a search because there is another topic somewhere which discusses this same issue.

perpsgt

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a simple CMS that can be dropped into an existing website with a WYSIWYG interface for page editing? Clients typically request a simple means to edit content on pages on their website, and I find Joomla et. al to be overkill in this regard. Furthermore, these types of CMS seem to be driven more towards building the website up from scratch using templates etc.

Many thanks,

perpsgt

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Joomla is the best IMO, just look at my site. As to something thats light, you can customise Joomla nearly down every option, so that could be integrated into a site, but it might take quite a lot of coding, depending what the current site is like.

Alex

gottaloveit

Reaction score
I'm also interested in a "light" cms that could be used for updating text, maybe changing pictures, but that won't overwhealm the client with too many options, an d that won't allow them to screw up their site too badly.

Anyone know of one?

I think the best option might be to build a simple database driven system, with a simple login, keep the formatting set with the CSS and just allow the text to be changed / added.

josephcarignan

Reaction score
Joomla is the best IMO, just look at my site. As to something thats light, you can customise Joomla nearly down every option, so that could be integrated into a site, but it might take quite a lot of coding, depending what the current site is like.

Alex

I have to agree with Alex. Joomla is very customizable. For a newb like myself it has been an adventure. By the way you've got some nice looking joomla sites there.

satbir

Reaction score
My choices:

Though Wordpress is not full fledged CMS but for simple need it can be made like CMS. Its easy to install, maintain and use.

Joomla for medium requirement - Not that easy to go running but have good template and lot of extensions to cater to many needs.

Drupal for complex requirement like multi site and lot of customization and larger modules.

Raji8

Reaction score
PHPNuke However you'll have to install 7.6 yourself cause 7.9 (In Fantastico) has the TinyMCE in it which Sentinel cant protect so if you can install 7.6 or below then PHPNuke is your way to go.

gottaloveit

Reaction score
Sara8478,

Can you drop in cmsms to an existing site, or do you need to basically start with the cms and use it to build your site?

Thanks,

Jamie

zapperpost

Reaction score
Go e107! Erm... All of you support Joomla? Nah. I am an e107 supporter!

sherifmayika

Reaction score
Now it is very easy to create theme in dupal using dreamweaver extension
After version 6 onwards Drupal has baecome more easier than joomla growth of drupal comunity and documentation are uncomparable

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
As I've said many a time, your best bet is code your own CMS. I'm currently rewriting the one for my arcade (Productivity Zero) to allow easier updating and page adding. I coded it from hand back a couple of months ago because all the existing software was designed for other purposes. One size fits all is _not_ always an ideal solution.

If you can't write your own, I'd agree with the people above on Drupal and Joomla!. For your purposes, Joomla! seems the right way to go because of its sheer simplicity and ease of use.

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Drupal because it has many modules (downloadable at drupal.org ) and it's many themes.
Joomla seems a bit too simple. Maybe that's just because you don't even have to FTP upload the modules or anything.

TheMan177

Reaction score
I completely agree with what was said above, creating your own system is the best thing you could do. A script you've created yourself can do exactly what you want it to do, exactly the way you want it done.

If you don't want to go down that road, for a light sort of CMS, I'd recommend either e107 or CMS Made Simple. For a larger website, Drupal would be your best bet, in my opinion. I tend to stay away from Joomla! I'm not sure how to put it into words, it just feels slow and restrictive when working with it, but that's purely my opinion.