What is the best web design language.

Adam01

Reaction score
Yeah, HTML is pritty boring after a while, but what is the best web language that can pimp up your website?

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
If you want to 'pimp' up your website, then I would recommend using some css, javascript and flash. On the otherhand if you want to do some coding so that your website is dynamic or etc, then there are a number of languages such as php and perl which can help you do it.

For your purposes maybe you should learn some css and javascript. Here are some tutorials.
http://www.w3schools.com/JS/default.asp
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

Adam01

Reaction score
Yeah, I know PHP, and a bit of javascript. What about those other languanges, like ajax and perl?

Also,
Heres a page I've been working with javascript, Im getting there.
It loads the page whilst showing a loading message.
http://adam01.x10hosting.com/js.html

Last edited:

vol7ron

Reaction score
Yeah, I know PHP, and a bit of javascript. What about those other languanges, like ajax and perl?

Also,
Heres a page I've been working with javascript, Im getting there.
It loads the page whilst showing a loading message.
http://adam01.x10hosting.com/js.html

Perl is a scripting language similar to JavaScript. Like PHP, Perl is run server side; however, unlike PHP, Perl creates the HTML pages, whereas PHP can be embedded seemingly into the HTML.

They are both fast languages, however Perl is older and actually has some advanced controls that PHP cannot provide.

As for AJAX, that is JavaScript. It stands for Asynchronous JavaScript And XML. Meaning, JavaScript that can pull XML at any time. JavaScript has been deemed "overrated" by the misinformed. If you want nice looking, dynamic pages, learn JavaScript before anything else. This includes Flash.

Emphasize on JavaScript/CSS/HTML and then get to other stuff, like Perl/PHP later. I am highly against anything you need to download in order to run on a webpage, e.g. Flash/Java. Note: Java and JavaScript are two different things. While Flash and Java both serve their purpose at times, I avoid them until I want something that only they can provide.

Last edited:

Kentech5b

Reaction score
I'd have to say I like PHP even if it may not have as many features as Perl. However, I'm always open to new languages. Is Perl hard to learn? As far as PHP is concerned, I've found it very useful, especially for creating forums. Have you tried any larger pages with PHP?

vol7ron

Reaction score
As far as being new to it, PHP is much easier than Perl. Additionally, there are very few things that Perl can do over PHP. If you are new to web development I would say go the easy route.

However, as you aspire in your programming knowledge, I would definitely look into Perl. The great thing about it is that it isn't just used as a Web language, it plays a big role in other tasks. For instance, a powerful web-crawler used for building search engines, or automating your eBay bids.

The other thing that most people don't realize is that Perl can also be embedded into HTML pages, much like PHP, by the use of embPerl or Server Side Includes (calling the external perl script like calling an external javascript).

A decent read would be here: http://www.tnx.nl/php
It doesn't explain the things that Perl can do that PHP can't, but it does show some difference in the two languages when doing the same thing.

In general I went from Perl to PHP and back to Perl. PHP is generally just for the web but you'll find that as you grow older, you'll trade off and on in the things you're programming for. It'll be the Web one minute and then simple database tasks and email applications, working with file systems, or report generating. You'll go from scripting to programming standalone programs and back to scripting. So as you grow older, you'll have to relearn languages because after about 1-3 months of not using it, you'll soon forget the tips and tricks that you once knew. Perl is a well rounded language and if you use it for almost everything you don't have to re-learn it for all the things you do... it's very robust.

This is obviously personal preference. I'm sure as my web development takes off I'll look into creating more programs in c/c++ one day maybe even assembly again :) This is probably not advised against the best programmers in the world that stay start strong, finish stronger...but I'd say start easy and finish as efficient as possible.

Hope this helps,
vol7ron

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well, you have to start with HTML, then to spice it up, learn CSS. then I would say learn PHP after that since, PHP is more on the developer side rather than design.

Otaku Ichise

Reaction score
I heard that flash is the hardest route for webdesign... i know html + css + few javascript knowledge, what should be my next step?... im scared of flash seriously...

Adam01

Reaction score
Well, I do know the basics, I just want to go the the extremes.
These are the web languages I already know:
HTML
CSS ( a bit )
Javascript
Flash action script
PHP + MYSQL

I also know c++.

I have already made a forum using php:
http://adam01.x10hosting.com/forum/

I was seeing what was the best languange to make it look really good.
Somewhere I read that pearl could run php scripts through javascript, is that true?

vol7ron

Reaction score
==================================================
Post 1 :: Response to Otaku
I heard that flash is the hardest route for webdesign... i know html + css + few javascript knowledge, what should be my next step?... im scared of flash seriously...

Flash isn't needed. The only thing I can seriously say I like flash for is maybe online games, if that. And maybe if I really wanted to try and prevent my material (like images) from being copied. But there's always ways around both of those.

If you wanna spruce up your site even more, become more involved with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Between 5 and 10 years ago the combination of these were all the rage. They even gave HTML a new name... DHTML, or Dynamic HTML. You can produce drop down menus, drag and drop interfaces, and anything that suits your heart's content. Within the past few years though, web programmers have been making use of the asynchronous HTTP Request, more commonly known as AJAX requests. This allows you load subsections of information into your page, without reloading the whole page, which is great for interaction and removing browser flickers.

So become even more familiar with JavaScript, learn some database architecture, and learn to work with DIVs/SPANs and CSS. Once you become an expert here, you'll know how to make your site reach your dreams.

Hope this helps and good sailing,
vol7ron

Post 2 :: Response to Adam01

Well, I do know the basics, I just want to go the the extremes.
These are the web languages I already know:
HTML
CSS ( a bit )
Javascript
Flash action script
PHP + MYSQL

I also know c++.

The problem is people know the basics and they don't know the intricates. I know a lot and I can still say I don't know everything. The problem is we copy eachother's code without really learning everything. When someone does take the time to read and learn about another capability, then that's when everyone works on that for a few years and the cycle repeats itself. Take the time, you don't have to be advanced, but know what you're working with - it'll aid you in achieving your goal.

I have already made a forum using php:
http://adam01.x10hosting.com/forum/
Unfortunately, it says:
Board Currently Disabled

Check back later

I was seeing what was the best languange to make it look really good.
Somewhere I read that pearl could run php scripts through javascript, is that true?
There is no best language to make it look really good. There's a few languages that do the same thing in a different way. All the languages you hear about produce HTML. Don't believe me? Every time you view a page, right click on it and choose View Page Source. All you'll see is JavaScript/CSS/HTML maybe some VB Script from time to time. That's because all the PHP/Perl/CGI/ASP scripts are server-side. They are a preprocessed programs that are used to more-or-less generate HTML.

They are used because they interact with databases and making doing routine things much faster, but they all pretty much do the same thing. Much like you can take three left turns, or you can just take one right one. In the end you'll be going the same direction. The biggest debate about the languages is, what's faster to process, what's more secure, what's quicker to code, etc.

CSS/HTML/JavaScript is the best to make your site look nice, in addition to a decent graphics suite. Generally, when sites don't look nice, it has less to do with the code and programmer's ability, and more to do with the authors artistry, or artistic talent. We can't all be Monets or Picassos.

vol7ron

Last edited:

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
CSS to make changes in design pretty quick without changing html.

PHP for dynamic content

java for fun or/and client-side effects like lightbox, contact form validation etc

Adam01

Reaction score
About the "Board disabled" dialog:
It sais that if the remote port is greater that 10000 ( anti-proxy/spam).
Most proxies use a remote around 17000.
Without a proxy mine was 1600.

Yeah, CSS is an external way to edit HTML, which is great for templates.
So yeah, Im gonna learn some more CSS.

Last edited:

cybergig

Reaction score
Try ruby and python as well... they maybe easier to use at times. I like php for its power and ruby for its power and simplicity. As for python... that crap confuses the hell out of me so I don't touch it.

Adam01

Reaction score
cool. Im practicing my css now. So I'l post back when I get stuck again.