What is the software to read data on windows partition from linux partition?

Bolline

Reaction score
I am using dual boot system and i want to know the software for reading data on the windows partition from the linux partition...
I want to use linux but data are all in the windows partition...
Is there any software for reading the data ?

steronius

Reaction score
I modern linux distro should have NTFS (Windows) read/write available and working without additional configuration. I believe it is ntfs-3g. You should be able to mount ntfs partitions using the gui. for example in ubuntu, you can go to places>my computer, and see the drives, then double click them. if you have no gui, then you'll need to use the "mount" command. [you'll have to search how to do it.]

If however you are using something like WUBI to install ubuntu or variant to an existing windows machine, this will not work the same because wubi creates a file on the windows partition. this file is virtual-drive containing linux. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20access%20the%20Windows%20drives? said the host drive should be available by visiting "/host".

letapk

Reaction score
You can have read and write access to data on a windows NTFS partition by using the ntfs-3g package. Install the package using the recommended installer for your Linux distribution. From a terminal you can give the command:
ntfs-3g /dev/xxx mountpoint
where:
xxx refers to the windows partition
and
mountpoint is the full path to an empty subdirectory in the Linux filesystem. The windows data will appear under this subdirectory. On most Linux distros you will need to be superuser for this command to work. Access can be removed with the command
umount mountpoint.
Let me know if there is a problem.

K. Patel
kpatel.x10hosting.com

letapk

Reaction score
No, not Samba.
The original problem is that of reading data from a windows partition in a dual boot machine after booting from a Linux partition and running Linux.
Samba, instead, allows access to a windows machine over a network, and provides file and print services to windows clients, which is not the case here.

With regards,
K. Patel
kpatel.x10hosting.com

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
ntfs-3g should do the trick for you. Just about any Linux machine should come with that package installed. The Windows Partition should show up as a second disk drive in Linux.