What is your favorite old computer?

adamlinux

Reaction score
Just post what your favorite old computer is, and mabe some reason or description. Mine would have to be the Tandy TRS 80 because its the only old computer from the 80's that I own that still works. ;) whats yours?

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Windows 3.1, still working. I think it had a 100mb hard drive. Was fast, clean, and I completely messed up the system :p

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My favoite classic OS would be Windows 3.1 as well :D

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score
balh Windows 1.0 ftw, mmm extended dos :) that would be my faviourite old windows os, linux ftw now micrososft screwed the os's up too much :)

gnutellapoky

Reaction score
I have old pcs that I have since installed linux on and they've never run smoother. One's an IBM netvista and the others Compaq. (I have sworn not to use Dells) But my favorite "old" computer is the powermac g3. The monster is a powerhouse. It has served as a great backup for our main home computer (g4 mdd) and we never turned the thing off.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I have old pcs that I have since installed linux on and they've never run smoother. One's an IBM netvista and the others Compaq. (I have sworn not to use Dells) But my favorite "old" computer is the powermac g3. The monster is a powerhouse. It has served as a great backup for our main home computer (g4 mdd) and we never turned the thing off.

I'm curious, what Linux distro do you find to work best with older pc's?

xPlozion

Reaction score
ubuntu does not work well with older pc's. ubuntu is slower than arch on my pc now. ubuntu is considered "bloatware" when it comes to linux along w/ opensuse and others. slackware or archlinux would be the best with (open|black|flux)box if you want a frontend for old pc's, if you know how to install them.

Last edited:

nanoman

Reaction score
My favorite is "Pentium I", my first PC. :p
And now I'm using Pentium IV...don't laugh, my family is poor. And besides if you're still laughing then I can only say that for a programmer you don't need much resources.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My favorite is "Pentium I", my first PC. :p
And now I'm using Pentium IV...don't laugh, my family is poor. And besides if you're still laughing then I can only say that for a programmer you don't need much resources.

Programmers don't need much, yes, unless they're trying to make some game like Crysis, that's where they're going to need a lot.

nanoman

Reaction score
Programmers don't need much, yes, unless they're trying to make some game like Crysis, that's where they're going to need a lot.

The game programmers are only writing code lines in teams/groups and then they give their source code further to others which then test the code, but the programmers aren't directly testing it in the game that's why they really don't need resources. And those who have to test the code they also are not testing the source directly in the game with the all other source, but testing it in parts, so that they could faster find some mistakes and fix them faster...

adamlinux

Reaction score
Yeah I was gonna say, as far as Linux distros go Ubuntu is good but only on a modern computer. It would be like putting Windows XP on a ten year old PC with 64mb ram, not a good idea. But thanks for the suggestions Xplozion, I might have to try it. :biggrin:

bookworm99

Reaction score
I have a classic, 1994 Apple computer which runs OS 7.5. It's awesome - aweeesome.

louisfluff

Reaction score
I have an IBM Aptiva from 1997. It came with Win 95, Upgraded to Windows 98 SE. It has 32MB Ram and 2GB HDD. About a 486 or so (not Intel). Only internet is Dial up. It even has Lotus.

balaji2u

Reaction score
this is my first computer and it has only 256mb ram,80 gb HD,15inch monitor .soon changing to a new one when i receive my salary.i dont even joined the job yet lol..but will soon.

gnutellapoky

Reaction score
I'm curious, what Linux distro do you find to work best with older pc's?

Sorry, really late reply. Busy with school.

I've put puppy linux in them since it is light. It's been a couple of years though so there should be lighter distros. I've heard of dsl but haven't tried it yet.
I think the slowest of the computers I have it on is a pentiumII. (and they're like granny computers) People will have better luck with freebsd on something as old or older.
And yes, ubuntu is not for older pcs.