What is your Screensaver?

the_site

Reaction score
Mine is BOINC
www_logo.gif

zen-r

Reaction score
Don't have one, don't need one.

They had some use when people were using CRT monitors (to avoid burn-in of the phosphors).

But now with most people on LCD or similar, they're mainly just for fun. :)

kieran5676

Reaction score
Mine's the Windows XP logo that moves every minute or so.

*off topic-ish* And LCDs can get burn in, I've got a taskbar burned into the top of the screen from when i used to have it up there. Or it could be a window bar from something maximised...

zen-r

Reaction score
.....*off topic-ish* And LCDs can get burn in, I've got a taskbar burned into the top of the screen from when i used to have it up there. Or it could be a window bar from something maximised...

Hmm, interesting.

I didn't realise that some people still had a problem with this, even on LCDs.

I've just done a bit of Googling & come back with this ;

"LCDs do not burn in like a CRT or plasma display can.

However, there is an effect called 'image sticking' If an image is left on the screen for a long time - tens of hours - then when the image is changed there may be a inverted shadow of the original image left.

This is due to the collection of charge in the LCD panel from the static image. It is usually worse for IPS and VA technologies, and not so bad for TN. It also depends on the purity of the liquid crystal material, so there can be some panel to panel variation.

The big difference between 'image sticking' and 'screen burn' is that image sticking will fade away after some time and the panel will look normal again. Once a CRT or plasma has the phosphor burnt then nothing will remove that image from the screen."

Also this longer article, which includes info on how to fix your problem, kieran5676 ; http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

I may have to re-think my use of screensavers! :)

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't have one as my LCD monitors will shut off after 20 minutes if I'm not using the computer or software isn't forcing them to remain on.

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
mine is nothing lolz once im loged in then i keep on using it never needed it

Last edited:

abhishekp

Reaction score
Blank, the one in the list. I actually use it to get the system to login screen when i am away for a while so that no one else can touch it when i am away.

johndass

Reaction score
mine too is to blank the screen, but also set the power options to turn-off monitor after 10mins of inactivity and also harddisk after 30mins of inactivity. Can save much on electricity and also lifespan of monitor and harddisk.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
mine is nothing lolz once im loged in then i keep on using it never needed it
That's what I do. When I start up the computer, I'm using the monitor. When I go away from the computer, I turn the whole system off. So I never need a screen saver.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting.

I didn't realise that some people still had a problem with this, even on LCDs.

I've just done a bit of Googling & come back with this ;

"LCDs do not burn in like a CRT or plasma display can.

However, there is an effect called 'image sticking' If an image is left on the screen for a long time - tens of hours - then when the image is changed there may be a inverted shadow of the original image left.

This is due to the collection of charge in the LCD panel from the static image. It is usually worse for IPS and VA technologies, and not so bad for TN. It also depends on the purity of the liquid crystal material, so there can be some panel to panel variation.

The big difference between 'image sticking' and 'screen burn' is that image sticking will fade away after some time and the panel will look normal again. Once a CRT or plasma has the phosphor burnt then nothing will remove that image from the screen."

Also this longer article, which includes info on how to fix your problem, kieran5676 ; http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

I may have to re-think my use of screensavers! :)

I don't have a screen saver, after reading your comment I re-enabled it. I don't know if this affects me but I have a TFT Flat Panel, and not LCD.

zen-r

Reaction score
I don't have a screen saver, after reading your comment I re-enabled it. I don't know if this affects me but I have a TFT Flat Panel, and not LCD.

Well, I did re-think about my use of screensavers, but decided to leave it under my current set-up.

My system shuts off after pre-determined periods of inactivity in the following order ; monitor, hard drive, finally system standby.

I couldn't really see any need for a screensaver for myself, though would now recommend them again to other people with LCDs, if they really don't want their system to shut off at all.