what OS

warlordste

Reaction score
hey got a new comp which av wiped clean and i cannot be botherd deciding what OS i should put on it am thinking red hat but i dunno what to choose so am leaving up to you guys to decide :p lol thanks for the help lol

souradipm

Reaction score
Windows vista
...You're joking,right?
@warlordste - you need to consider what you're gonna use your computer for.

freemble1

Reaction score
If its any gaming at all get Windows and Vista is the best. For programming get Vista with WAMP because it is the same as Linux with LAMP but better and far better than Mac OS X with XAMPP. For general Internet use Windows is the best because it is the easiest to use and Vista is the best.

Overall I would say Vista because of those reasons. You can consider what you are going to use your computer for (good advice) but I assure you that Windows Vista or XP will come out on top.

warlordste

Reaction score
no idea lol not decided prob just messing about and VISTA is a defo no lol and am not even gonna say whats up with it it be quicker saying whats right with it lol and i got professional thinking mandrake i might put on it dunno as i sed am looking for tips on what i should do with it as well lol

heinzketchup

Reaction score
depends on what you are looking for. some guy before said vista... that depends on how old the pc is! my pc for example says designed for xp and vista capable but thats just a joke i think. i get bluescreens approximately every hour. but vista is really best for games, especially for DX10. if it is a mac pc, stay on mac. Pretty nice interface but you can only work with it, nothing else(you could also run xp on a mac, the other way round it is not possible). if you are not into gaming and don't need the cool window flip effect, xp sp3 has best performace and you can be quite sure that you don't have to format your disc after 1 week. my last hint: don't go into open source... linux is just much too frustrating because you need tools for every **** and installing things is often very complicated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
If you plan on gaming and such, I recommend XP. If you plan on just doing basics, you could go with a Linux distro; Ubuntu is my personal favorite as of now

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I second Spartan Erik.
I have Ubuntu now and I love it.
It's great for general computer use and web development. :)

freemble1

Reaction score
If you plan on gaming and such, I recommend XP. If you plan on just doing basics, you could go with a Linux distro; Ubuntu is my personal favorite as of now

A lot of the new r game
won't be compatible with XP only Vista.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Dual-boot XP and Vista if you can, or Vista and Linux (an Ubuntu-based distro). I don't see what the problem is with Vista, I've used every Windows OS since 3.1 and Vista seems the best and most stable. Sure, there's a slight performance hit compared to XP, but there was a huge performance hit between Windows 2000 and XP and that's why newer hardware was developed.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Personally, I suggest getting XP - Pro. Nice and clean with extra features if you want them. Personally, I would say not going with a linux distro as your main OS if your not used to a linux environment, it is very cumbersome to users that are accustomed to windows.

Edit: For those of you who say windows crashes, tell that to my 2 crashes in 2 years :p
The only problem i ever had was when i rebuilt the computer from scratch, none of the windows/linux distros liked that. I have xp/fedora/vista and switched from amd to intel in a rebuild. had to start from scratch.

Last edited:

allinone

Reaction score
you should go for vista coz there will be no problems for drivers and softwares.........also its less prone to viruses

Funky Monkey

Reaction score
XP Pro, but if you can, get your hands on an intelbased mac. They are totally and I mean totally virus/spyware free. Unless you go to one of those x-rated sites. They might be able to screw up your mac. If you want to play games to, there is a way to install windows are your mac so you can use window programs/games.

claytonian

Reaction score
SMART MAN IS SMART!!!

Better yet, do both XP and Ubuntu. I would, but my hard drive is a mere 30 gigs. I can't wait to pop in a 500 for my Windows drive, I have a 100 gig that I use as a storage drive and that's becoming my Linux drive.
---------------- Now playing: Milk Man - Aphex Twin via FoxyTunes

fempower

Reaction score
Linux for basics, a Windows emulator for anything you can't run straight from Linux, and XP for anything you can't run in the emulator. Make it dual boot.