• Javascript

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Basic

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RealisationInc

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done before...

Anyway post what languages you know and which is your favorite.

I know;
PHP - [ SQL along with it ]
XHTML [and all the others]
CSS
Basic
GML
Java Script

Yes I have to much time on my hands and there are some I've missed out.

Last edited:

t2t2t

Reaction score
I know php and CSS only :( And some of GML (Game Maker Language :p)

lambada

Reaction score
Can I point out that BASIC is the odd one out in that poll - there is no easy way for it to be used in a web environment.

If you're listing BASIC you might also have listed C++, C# and other such languages.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
OMG here comes the list

I know

HTML
XHTML
CSS (some)
PHP (most, not MySQL, working on that now)
ASP 3.0
ASP.NET 1.1
ASP.NET 2.0
Coldfusion (Some, dont really use it too much)
JSP (Java Server Pages) (Some, studing it now)

There are more, but I dont feel like listening them:thefinger

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
HTML
Java (only completed 1 semester of it so far)
PHP (basics and with MySQL support)

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Know? What does that mean: I doubt anyone can completely KNOW a language without being considered a guru or hacker (which is not always a bad term, mind). Here is my standings:

HTML: 9/10 (still getting the feel for forms)
XHTML: 6/10
DHTML: 7/10
CSS: 4/10
PHP: 1/10
Javascript: 3/10
MySQL: 1/10
VB: 7/10
C: 2/10

When I have mastered these, I'll move onto some more complex programming languages. Unfortunatly, I don't have much time on my hands, with school and all, so I doubt I'll get most of these done by Christmas next year.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
HTML/PHP & MySQL, GML (trust me, it's a sucky language to know cause it's COMPLETELY USELESS outside of Game Maker, but still, I'm listing it cause this ain't a resume), C#, working on Java next semester (starts on the 8th of january).

Some vb.net, not listing it though. It's not a language I ever want to use outside of the "quick & dirty calculator" assignment we did in class >_<

COBOL's the really useless one; I don't even have a compiler for it anymore. And yet I like it better than vb.net and it reminds me too much of basic, especially where it's the whole "this then this then this" thing instead of "on mouse click do this, on mouse over do this" event driven thing.

And I'd define knowing a language as being comfortable and understand the basics of the language (if you can't declare a variable for instance, you don't understand the basics). Add bonus points if you know a place you can check to get answers you don't know.

php.net, for example, kicks bootay when it comes to php. And if you understand the basics, you can turn this:

bool imagecopyresized ( resource dst_image, resource src_image, int dst_x, int dst_y, int src_x, int src_y, int dst_w, int dst_h, int src_w, int src_h )

into this:

imagecopyresized($display_image,$copy_image, 0, 0, 0, 0, imagesx($display_image), imagesy($display_image), imagesx($copy_image), imagesy($copy_image));

(resizes the image found in resource $copy_image down/up to the size of $display_image, usually followed up by a few headers and some form of imagejpeg/imagepng/imagegif to display the image).

I use that site every single day. But I also know the basics of php enough to know what in the blue hell all those arguments mean, therefore I consider myself to have known the language ^_^

Someone's gunna call me a 'tard though, I can pretty much guarantee it. Cause by my logic if you know how to turn the wheel, shift gears, and step on the pedals, you know how to drive a car >_<

Edit: And is anyone else NOT surprised that php has 9/10 voters saying they know it? It's a free webhost that supports php, why not learn it XD

Last edited:

Cubeform

Reaction score
(X)HTML and CSS aren't true programming languages--they're just instructions for a program to render something.

Oh yeah, here's my list, along with how much I know the languages, in order of when I started to learn them:

(X)HTML (95% [I'm finally learning how to do forms. Like I said, not really a programming language, but I've almost finished learning it!])
CSS (90%)

GML (50% [Stands for Game Maker Language. Scripting language for the application Game Maker, which makes games... check it out at http://gamemaker.nl/. GML probably started my interest in programming. Only learned 50% because I didn't pay and register.])

C++ (30% [Still don't get them pointers...])
C# (20%)
PHP (30% [Started learning it once I got onto x10])

Really, once you know one of these C-style languages, it's extremely easy to hop onto another.

JavaScript (40%)
SQL (5% [Going to have to learn it if I'm going to do anything serious in PHP])

Last edited:

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Ya, now that you guys mention it I do know some GML. You're right, though: GML is useless outside of Game Maker. It is easier to learn with previous C(++?) knowledge, but doesn't work vice versa, unfortunately. :nuts:

Xenon Design

Reaction score
I know...so far:

[x]HTML
ASP
PHP
SQL
Javascript [AJAX included]
CSS
Actionscript
XML [RSS]
VB 6

I learnt VB in IT at school this year xD Its quite fun...but boring.

Last edited:

artoonie

Reaction score
im learning java in school, so i guess you could say i "know" it.
im pretty familiar with php, i use it a lot, but i still cant write my own code, so didnt vote for that.
css is a really simple language, so yeep.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
PHP, CSS, HTML, Javascript a little VB... Well and basic MySQL...