What;s your workstation setup look like?

fhogoman

Reaction score
I've since slimmed down to an HDX Laptop, also mini HP and a trusty tower - Got my JBL creatures for sound and external TeraByte backup for storage - Printing on Canon IP100 - Everything portable! I can fit my laptop, printer and accessories in my backpack! lol

desktop-1.jpg

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My "workstation" is nothing special. I have of course a pretty large desk. On top of the desk I have two 30" monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse. On another part of the desk, I have my gaming PC. My speakers are mounted up on the wall (two front, two rear, one center) and the sub woofer is on the floor. Behind the desk, I have hidden every wire that my PC uses. I have a UPS sitting alongside the desk on the floor, with it's power cable routed into a wall plate, and from the UPS my devices are powered through the UPS's multiple power ports. From the hardware, the power cables are twist tied together and routed in such a matter to provide plenty of room, but to keep things looking nice and mess free behind the desk. Between the monitors and the PC, I have two DVI cables which are twist tied together and of course routed out of sight to the PC, where each monitor is plugged into it's own video card. The speaker wires are routed through the wall where they join up at a junction, into which it plugs into an amp located next to the UPS, which is connected to the PC via an optical cable. I have a microphone plugged into the back of the PC, and that is routed through the same path the DVI cables are taking (just not in the same cluster) where the mic sits on the desk. My USB devices have their own path, which are my keyboard and mouse which are twist tied together to go to the back of the PC. The CAT5e cable is the only cable pretty much I didn't route specially, only twist tied it together keeping the bend radius of the cable in mind since it had some left over cable on it, as that is going to a wall jack where it is then routed to my basement where all of my networking gear and the Linux router is.

So yeah, that's my setup. I have a rolling chair which also spins on a plastic mat that fits the design of my desk.

I'll get some pics once I get the chance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the printers are in the basement as they are running off of the network for network printing.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a table with a lot of cables behind it. Then a monitor on top of it, a mouse and keyboard on a keyboard thing, and my docking station connected to my computer with speakers behind me.

Oh yeah, did I mention the cables? I can't afford wireless, and I have to have a cable for everything, so there are too many! I gave up on hiding them a long time ago.

~Callum

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a desk, with currently only 2 computers sitting on it. My two seldom used speakers hide behind the 19" monitor. And running all over the place are cords. Lots of them. I might upgrade this whole setup to bluetooth one day to make things a little easier, but for now, I can manage with swapping cords back and forth. It looks more impressive that way. ;)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm saving up for an iMac and an Airport Express, which means wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, integrated everything and wireless music :)

~Callum

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hehe. Well, the bright side is that the longer you wait, the cheaper they'll get. ;)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score

theres 2 desktops in a shelf you can't see, ones the desktop,the others a headless linux box

wmalexander

Reaction score
Well, I never considered myself a neat-freak until a friend came over while I was changing out some stuff on my old tower case.
He exclaimed; "Man, what planet are you from? You can pick up any tool or part on that workbench with your eyes shut."
Ok. Maybe--just maybe--I am a neat-freak.
So I guess you know what my workstation looks like.

csc2ya

Reaction score
Can never be bothered to resize the pic of mine, so i'll link it instead: http://csc2ya.co.uk/setup.jpg

Pic is slightly out of date, in that i'm not using linux anymore (main os is now xp home), but there's little point in changing the image only due to that. You can also see my other laptop under the desk. This runs as an irc and shoutcast server.