What scares you the most?

What scares you the most?

• Total voters

mattura

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a scary flash game, and got interested in what makes people scared. It would be great to know what the scariest things are, so I'll post a poll, but feel free to post anything scary I've missed (if it scares you), and vote for those too.

theafterthought

Reaction score
I voted "Clowns/dolls/childrens toys/nursery/'innocent' objects/beings" - the 'innocent' can hold the darkest secrets ;)

mattura

Reaction score
Well even if you are not scared by anything, what do you think would scare others the most? Or perhaps your friends etc

D

dWhite

Every single person has a minimum of one phobia.

For me, it is heights and then not knowing what's in the dark. Heights will literally cause me to freeze up and go into a massive breakdown that makes my heart rate and breathing go out of control.

mattura

Reaction score
Sorry I did not represent heights in the list. But I couldn't put that in a game anyway, except by perhaps some weird motion of overlapping MCs... I'll think about that... Thanks for the replies so far.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The dark most; especially if there are things everywhere.
Then spiders; they make me freak out.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
You forgot to add cats. :lol:

I've met a few people in my lifetime who were scared of cats. Right now, in our apartment complex we live near a father and son who are both afraid of our white Persian cat.

Apparently Hitler was also afraid of cats. :-o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailurophobia

Last edited:

dwd2000

Reaction score
Suggestion for your game: Have many stages, incorporating as many phobias as you can. You're bound to find something for everyone that way.

pgames

Reaction score
HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

82435527im5.png

damn she's freaky looking...
I just logged onto the forum and saw this ad and I almost peed my pants.
Seriously she's freaky.

Last edited:

wolf693

Reaction score
I voted for Clowns/dolls/childrens toys/nursery/'innocent' objects/beings... It's the clowns that scare me... I know, it's stupid... But seriously, people who are too happy scare me.

like2program

Reaction score
Wow this is a really good idea.
Asking people what scares them.
Why didn't I think of that : )

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the response people! This is proving most useful research. As for cats and rabid giant bunnies...just put them under spiders/snakes/animals/insects! Maybe I'll do a spin-off survey - "What animal scares you the most?" But this first. Looking forward to the game plan!

cdkilken

Reaction score
Really, it's the unknown that drives the fear of anyone or anything. If you truly knew and understood a clown, you could stop being afraid, just as knowing what is about to happen would allow you to accept the event and react in a way to your best advantage.

The fear of the unknown can be triggered by any type of object or personification: symbols; clowns; blood; freaky ladies; etc.

That being said, if I were to suggest something for a horror game, I would incorporate as many phobias as possible into an atmosphere that genuinely makes it seem plausible that those triggers could all exist. Beyond that, I would ensure that the player is kept in as much suspense as to the nature of the game and the world as possible.

Good examples for comparisons, I think, are the Resident Evils and Silent Hills. When I played Resident Evil, I was occasionally treated to an actual scare, but mostly I was just focusing on navigating around and solving the puzzles. With Silent Hill, my pulse rate was elevated, I was breathing more frantically, and generally getting that stomach-knotting adrenaline feeling when you have a real fight-or-flight reaction.

It should go without saying that everything in this post is a reflection of my own opinions and observations and in no way do I presume to speak for everyone else.

Sohail

Reaction score
I HATE spiders! If i ever see one, i just run as fast as i can...