What software do you use to keep your pc run smoothly?

Mitch

Reaction score

Software like; Registry Cleaners, Anti-virus programs and disk fragmentation programs.

(if you got freeware, please put a download link of the software. Or a link to site of the software)

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
  • Desktop PC (Vista Business 64-bit):
    • Comodo Internet Security [URL: https://forums.comodo.com/beta_corner_cis-b133.0/ -- requires registration on the forums] (AV, Firewall, etc)
    < No version of ThreatFire currently available for 64-bit OS's >
  • Laptop PC (Vista Business 32-bit):
    • Avast! Antivirus [URL: http://www.avast.com/ ]
    • ThreatFire (Behavioural based protection) [URL: http://www.threatfire.com/ ]
    • Windows Vista Firewall
  • Both:
    • PerfectDisk 2008 (Defragmentation and Drive Optimisation) [URL: http://www.raxco.com/home_office/home_perfectdisk_professional.cfm -- Not free]
    • HostsMan [URL: http://www.abelhadigital.com/ ]

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I use McAfee's SecurityCenter (I got a 3 year subscription free with my Laptop).
I also use "Advanced Windows Care Personal" and "CCleaner" (Links can be found in my "Free Software List" thread)

vmadarasz

Reaction score

Software like; Registry Cleaners, Anti-virus programs and disk fragmentation programs.

(if you got freeware, please put a download link of the software. Or a link to site of the software)

The Best to do: Using a Mac or running Linux these to keeps it clean like nothing else :dunno: For me so far it was the best to do...windows just to much to hassle with :rant2:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
CCleaner (ccleaner.com), and AVG (grisoft.com)

That's it! Occasional defrags.. yep!

Afterburn

Reaction score
i use nothing...:|. I don't even like having all these software installed to slow down my computer. I just use my common sense when it comes to going into websites and attacks.

The only thing I guess that counts is Microsoft Vista Ultimate Firewall, but besides that, I don't use anything. Haven't had any spyware or virus in about two years now.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use Avast, Windows Defender/Firewall, CCleaner and the Windows Defragmenter. In other words, basically whatever the OS gives me. :biggrin:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
i use nothing... [...] Haven't had any spyware or virus in about two years now.

How exactly do you know you haven't had anything in two years, if you don't use anything that will tell you if you have a virus?

balaji2u

Reaction score
No doubt im a prolonged user of tune up utilities though i used reg clean,system mechanic,,
Tune up utilities is the best s/f that fits for all kinds of machine regarding of their capabilty..
Edit:
No doubt im a prolonged user of tune up utilities though i used reg clean,system mechanic,,
Tune up utilities is the best s/f that fits for all kinds of machine regarding of their capabilty..

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I mainly use a good old working knowledge of Windows to keep the PC running clean, along with the programs that come with Windows. As for registry cleaners, I use CCCleaner which works nicely, and for Viruses/Spyware/Malware I use a combination of a Linux firewall, Windows Firewall, NAT, and Avast! and Spybot Search and Destroy.

xPlozion

Reaction score
on windows, i use avg on a nightly basis (scans at 2am), and i occasionally use spybot, adaware and ccleaner.

as far as what i currently use... NOTHING!
there's no registry, the ext3 filesystem defrags at a much lower rate, if in the event i get a malicious file, i would have to explicitly set it to run to do any damage to my comp. i would have to set it to execute chmod +x and then run it to harm anything, and if i was using my normal account, the damage would stay inside my /home directory, and not extend any further than that.

my computer is as fast today as when i first installed archlinux, which was the beginning of the year (10 months ago).

Max1337

Reaction score
Firewall: Agnitum-Outpost Security Suite Pro
Anti-Virus: Avira AntiVir Premium
Tweak Software: Tune-Up Utilities 2008 (for Vista users you should also use Tweak VI)
Another application I'd recommend: Peer Guardian, or ProtoWall
Advertisement/Bad Website Filtering: Privoxy

These softwares have been great for me :D

geodavis

Reaction score
As for me, I don't use any software, I do the maintenance manually. These are the things I do:
I usually delete all offline Internet files, All temporary internet files, Monitor running Programs and services through Task Manager. and the main thing is that I Configured the Virtual Memory.

to adjust the virtual memory:
1. Run => sysdm.cpl , It will brings out the System properties window.
2. Click on Advance => Performance Settings => Advance Tab => Virtual Memory
3. Select the Custom size Option Button, then set the size to higher size depending on your Free Disk Space, Click the Set Button

Armacci Design

Reaction score
I've come to love Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It seems to detect things that other antiviruses don't even pick up, and in half the time too. I just use the freeware version, which isn't a realtime scanner, but that's ok because it doesn't interfere with AVG.