What's the best 3D Animation Software?

VPmase

Reaction score
I like Swift 3d since it can export into SWF.

Also, you can edit your posts to add a poll instead of creating a new thread for that...

URAMetroid

Reaction score
I use Maya 4.0 to animate my weapons I made for my weapons mods for Contract Jack and No One Lives Forever 2, it's a bit old, but it gets the job done :biggrin:

z_killemall

Reaction score
In my opinion is 3DS Max. If you have a powerful enough machine to take advantage of it. And if you can afford it.

In my case, I got my 3ds max 9 version from someone I know from Autodesk (also got a trial version of AutoCAD 2007 and a nice pen :biggrin:). Unfortunately I just bought my new machine and I still don't have a video card yet (I'll go for a 7300 GT or better as soon as I have the money)

Last edited:

Mekryd

Reaction score
AutoCAD isn't really something for animation. Not in the entertainment way of animation, at least...

Xemnas

Reaction score
To clear things up, AutoCAD isn't for animation in any way. It's industrial software used by architects, engineers and the like (hence its $1000+ price tag). While you can certainly build 3D models in it, you cannot perform any animation with it, and it literally takes an entire dedicated school course to learn how to use it.

Trixter

Reaction score
Maya or 3ds Max 9 if you want professional results. Swift3d for Flash animation and Blender if you on a budget or just getting into 3D anim.

BTW: AutoCAD!?! as a 3D animation program please tell me your joking!! its a CAD program for heavens sake!! hence the AutoCAD and like Xemnas said you have to learn how to use it which takes FOREVER!!

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
To clear things up, AutoCAD isn't for animation in any way. It's industrial software used by architects, engineers and the like (hence its $1000+ price tag). While you can certainly build 3D models in it, you cannot perform any animation with it, and it literally takes an entire dedicated school course to learn how to use it.

Not true. You can animate with AutoCAD.. I use it daily, But, for engineering reasons. If you have the correct version, you can animate objects, lighting, etc..

port5900

Reaction score
@Russ
yes can animate with AutoCAD.
But you totally missed the point. And even if you can animate in AutoCAD, AutoCAD is not made to do advanced animation like Maya and Max.

Last edited:

bonbon

Reaction score
For me, Maya 4.0, and 3D Max, hmm a software user friendly to a beginner.

Alvin Nyau

Reaction score
I would also like to prefer Swift 3d as it does offer easy user interfaces and the result is good.;)

port5900

Reaction score
Ahhh people stop suggesting Swift3D! its not for the kind of 3D he wants to do!

epoclaen

Reaction score
I use 3DS Max but that's mainly because I'm so familiar with it that changing would be tough, not to mention potentially expensive.

The animation process is likely fairly similar between programs which I'm guessing most include keyframe utilities and curve editors for some form of dope sheet. I'm finding that a key factor is more the rigging of a model than it is the actual animation. I don't like 3DS Max's vertex weighting tools and I'm starting to consider Maya instead because of that. I'm also looking at SoftImage XSI and MotionBuilder for animation. MotionBuilder seems excellent for any lip-syncing if that's needed.

bugzon

Reaction score
Autocad Very Best For
Engineering Reasons --
And Maya Is Gold Really
........ It's Great.....

But It Costs Toooo Much
Edit:
What's The Cost Of Maya Latest
Version???

My Company Can Buy It ...

Last edited: