Whats the best Instant Messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf693

Reaction score
I've heard Trillian is good, but I'm MSN only so I have no use for it. WLM for me! However it all comes down to what you need such as voice chat, webcam capabilities, etc.

Xemnas

Reaction score
MSN, but only because I've used only it and WLM, and WLM feels the need to disconnect every 30 seconds. I haven't tried the others, I guess I really should.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I use wondows live messenger.
It never occured to me to use anything else.

DarkenProject

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the free Trillian, and has the chat functions that I need (mainly AIM and Yahoo, with an occasional MSN and Google thrown in). I tried Pidgin: it has more services and features, but I really only ever use the chat and haven't felt the need to switch.

cstamper

Reaction score
Pidgin is junk. Psi seems to be the best.

yahoo and msn are simply disgusting. GoogleTalk is ok.
Edit:
I use wondows live messenger.
It never occured to me to use anything else.

Thats why M$ is where it is today. Not because their good, but because it what comes bundled on most computers, and people just don't know of alternatives. So sad, but still true.

Last edited:

chisaku

Reaction score
Windows Live Messenger, it's fun that you can chat with friends outside of Europe... and have many in the same conversation! I've tried Yahoo... but... I didn't get used to it at all, I was a Microsofter. D:

worldwise001

Reaction score
Pidgin is eh. It used to be Gaim, and personally I think it has made some substantial improvements. I to tend to prefer Trillian over others, except for the fact that it lacks Jabber in the free version for Google Talk. It also has a number of features I like, such as conversation logging (I close windows frequently and forget the topic of conversation), ability to use one avatar for all accounts, and using tabbed conversations (like firefox). IRC on Trillian needs some work however.

For IRC I use XChat (www.silverex.org for you windows users).

On Linux I use Pidgin and XChat.

Using standalone clients for AIM, MSN, and Yahoo is just icky. I don't like their interfaces, nor their tricky systems. I don't need webcam features in MSN Messenger, or Yahoo, or whatever, so I go with Trillian or Pidgin.

Last edited:

cyreg

Reaction score
I like Miranda to cover all the popular IM protocols. As for me, I communicate through ICQ mostly and have friends on MSN and Yahoo as well.

Last edited:

blueusagi

Reaction score
My favorite client is Adium (for Macs) which is based off of Pidgin (previously known as Gaim) and supports all the popular Instant Messaging protocols like many other clients out there. However, I think the interface is much more appealing and user-friendly compared to Pidgin which takes some time to get used to especially if you're switching clients.

Dan

Reaction score
I'm not sure which is best, all my friends use Windows Live/MSN so I use that too.

Mahakaruna

Reaction score
Almost my friend use YM.
And I have tried some IM App like pidgin and Trillian but I soonly switch back to Y!M :D
So, I vote for Y!M

Status
Not open for further replies.