Whats the best way to learn guitar (electic/acoustic)?

Whats the fastest way to learn guitar?

• Lessons

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Self Taught

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Agenator

Reaction score
Just wondering how you learned/whats the best/Whats the fastest way to learn guitar? I'm currently teaching my self but am wondering if lessons would be worth it ? Let me know in the poll above.
I think lessons would help me learn faster, but other than that is there much benefit? Or maybe I'm wrong and lessons would be the same as just looking at ultimate-guitar.com and teaching myself. Anway let me know.

bawii

Reaction score
there are many famous guitarist who've never taken a single lesson in their life

I think you should first attempt to self teach yourself, and see how that goes. if you're having trouble or if it isn't going well, you should take lessons. self teaching yourself is less costly and you can go at your own pace

learning guitar is really all about practice and practice. you don't learn overnight

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with the self taught method. I know for a fact that lessons can be boring and demanding, but if you teach yourself, you'll get into it and will enjoy it as you won't be doing it on a schedule. Besides, many famous guitar players I believe taught themselves after getting themselves into music.

dpalmer

Reaction score
It really depends on your previous musical background. If you have played any musical instrument before and have an understanding of basic music theory, it will be much easier to learn by yourself. By basic music theory, I mean what notes are, timing, tuning, etc.

If not, then it could help get you off on the right track if someone was there to give immediate feedback to your questions and to teach you the fundamentals.

Sure, plenty of famous guitar players are completely self-taught, but they are exceptionally talented. and for every one of them, there are probably a thousand average people that utterly failed to successfully teach themselves, for one reason or another. You could be persistent and teach eventually yourself, but why make it harder on yourself than it should be.

-Tom (temporarily using Donna's account)

serfx

Reaction score
i took lessons for a long time, however after the first 4 i found we spent all the time jammign out on things just gettign rythem down.
grab soem books, and dedicate 30 - 60 mins a day to figuring some things out.. once you can make a barr cord you can play pretty much anything, write anythiing.. scales are handy for soloing and writing a melody

but at the end of the day around a camp fire a 1 - 3 - 5 chord progression gets every one singing (for example E - G - B)
and you'll learn most old "rebel" country songs in one..(ish)