What's the meaning of life?

frankfriend

Reaction score
What's it all about Alfie? That presupposes there is a meaning. Won't we all be furious for that split second if there is nothing, no meaning, and we realise it?

idfizbo

Reaction score
Personal happiness. That's all there is to it. The key is, the very definition of happiness is subjective and depends on the individual. For one person, it might mean making millions and buying lots of expensive cars. For another person, it might have to do with planting trees and writing love songs. Is either definition "right" or "wrong?" Of course not. As long as one is pursuing what makes them happy, they are in the right.

In fact, it's almost impossible to live life without focusing on our own happiness. Every person on earth has likes, dislikes, values, and things that just make us feel good. What else guides our career choices and our love lives? Our own definition of happiness, that's what. The only way to not pursue this would be to intentionally set yourself up to do things that make you unhappy as some stupid philosophical exercise, which in itself would make you happy because you're proving others wrong. So it's a catch-22.

:)

JKoltner

Reaction score
idfizbo is right... the meaning of life is just what you give it. Do the things that make you happy, but be sure to reflect occasionally on how your actions towards others might, in the long run, make you happy as well. I.e., donate to causes you believe in, help others the way you'd like to be helped, try to understand others' points of views and see if you can find common ground with your own.

frankfriend

Reaction score
I like your catch 22 idfizbo. To be unhappy deliberately is to be happy. A sort of inverse schadenfreud where you get delight from the misery of yourself. JKoltner too - do unto others as you would they do unto you .... and feel better!

ejweb

Reaction score
I like everyone's response. One would think that if you can help make your life happy or seek happiness, then in turn, may help make someone else happy :). On a biblical perspective, part of our purpose in life is not only to take care of this beautifully, created earth but each other as well...

haslam1

Reaction score
What Is the Purpose of Life?

WHY DOES THE ANSWER MATTER? Few things are more distressing to the human spirit than the thought that life has no meaning, no purpose. On the other hand, a person who has a clearly defined purpose in life is resilient. Viktor E. Frankl, a neurologist and a Holocaust survivor, wrote: “There is nothing in the world, I venture to say, that would so effectively help one to survive even the worst conditions, as the knowledge that there is a meaning in one’s life.”
However, there are numerous and conflicting opinions on this subject. Many feel that it is up to the individual to determine for himself the purpose of life. By contrast, some who believe in evolution teach that there is no ultimate meaning in life.
Really, though, the most logical way to discover the purpose of life is to consult the Life-Giver, Jehovah God. Consider what his Word has to say on the subject.
What the Bible Says

06.jpg
A person needs a clearly defined purpose in life

The Bible teaches that Jehovah God had a specific purpose for man and woman when he created them. Jehovah gave the following command to our original parents.
Genesis 1:28. “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.”
God purposed that Adam and Eve and their children make the whole earth a paradise. He did not intend that humans grow old and die; nor did he want mankind to harm the environment. However, because of the poor choices made by our first parents, we have inherited sin and death. (Genesis 3:2-6; Romans 5:12) Even so, Jehovah’s purpose has not changed. Soon the earth will be a paradise.—Isaiah 55:10, 11.
Jehovah created us with both the physical and the intellectual capacity to fulfill his purpose. He did not create us to live independently of him. Note how God’s purpose for us is defined in the following Bible passages.
Ecclesiastes 12:13. “The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.”
Micah 6:8. “What is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?”
Matthew 22:37-39. “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’”
How the Bible’s Answer Brings Real Peace of Mind

07.jpg
Jesus teaches us how to gain peace of mind

For any complex piece of machinery to work properly, it must be used for the purpose and in the manner that its maker intended. Likewise, if we are to avoid damaging ourselves—be it spiritually, mentally, emotionally, or physically—we need to use our life in the way that our Maker intended. Consider how our knowing God’s purpose can bring us peace of mind in the following areas of life.
When establishing priorities, many today devote their lives to accumulating wealth. However, “those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires,” warns the Bible.—1 Timothy 6:9, 10.
On the other hand, those who learn to love God rather than money discover the secret of contentment. (1 Timothy 6:7, 8) They appreciate the value of hard work and know that they have an obligation to provide for their own physical needs. (Ephesians 4:28) But they also take seriously Jesus’ words of caution: “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches.”—Matthew 6:24.
Therefore, instead of making secular work or the pursuit of wealth their top priority, those who love God make the doing of his will their primary concern in life. They know that if their life revolves around the doing of God’s will, then Jehovah God will take care of them. In fact, Jehovah considers himself honor-bound to do so.—Matthew 6:25-33.
When dealing with people, many put themselves first. Today, the world lacks peace, in large measure because so many people have become “lovers of themselves, . . . having no natural affection.” (2 Timothy 3:2, 3) When someone disappoints them or disagrees with their viewpoint, they give vent to “anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech.” (Ephesians 4:31) Rather than bringing peace of mind, such a lack of self-control only “stirs up contention.”—Proverbs 15:18.
By contrast, those who obey God’s command to love their neighbor as themselves are “kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another.” (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13) Even when others do not treat them kindly, they endeavor to imitate Jesus, who when being reviled “did not go reviling in return.” (1 Peter 2:23) Like Jesus, they appreciate that it brings true fulfillment to serve others, even those who may not appreciate what is being done for them. (Matthew 20:25-28; John 13:14, 15; Acts 20:35) Jehovah God gives his spirit to those who imitate his Son, and this spirit produces in their life a genuine sense of peace.—Galatians 5:22.
How, though, can your view of the future affect your peace of mind?

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
IV65536 is the meaning of life. lol. It is the very last cell in microsoft excel. (I was bored.):D

frankfriend

Reaction score
Was it 48? The White Mouse experiment???? No that was the answer to the ultimate question?

zen-r

Reaction score
What Is the Purpose of Life?

WHY DOES THE ANSWER MATTER? Few things are more distressin.......
yada yada......... has not changed. Soon the earth will be a paradise.—Isaiah 55:10, 11.yada yada etc...

Yawn.

Ever tried thinking for yourself, rather than quoting unquestioningly that which was written by others?

Last edited:

imperialworld

Reaction score
i don't know, lol, if you think about it you got a long time to live!
So i say you do the things you've always want to do!

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i don't know, lol, if you think about it you got a long time to live!
So i say you do the things you've always want to do!

and then what happens when your life finally does come to an end?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you mean 42 ;) (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?)

what are you talking about? the only book that resembles that title that I know of is the "Hitchhiker's Guide to openVMS" a truly hillarious book, btw.

zen-r

Reaction score
what are you talking about? the only book that resembles that title that I know of is the "Hitchhiker's Guide to openVMS" a truly hillarious book, btw.

Google it. It's been a book, tv series & film over here. A classic.

I went camping with the author's sister (among other people) several years back. Sadly, he died in 2001.

haslam1

Reaction score
meaning of life:dunno: (dictionary.com's answer)
-the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

mine - to live a good life but once again what is life. lol:dunno:
:nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

wolfy67

Reaction score
Yawn.

Ever tried thinking for yourself, rather than quoting unquestioningly that which was written by others?

It's funny to me that quoted Bible verses are generally assumed to be spouted by the unintelligent or those who are unable (or unwilling?) for form an individual coherent thought whereas the undeniably repeated hype (spam, bunk, trash, scare tactics....) the media has decided to force feed us is "scientific" and "proven theory" and therefore must be correct and acceptable.

Although I will agree with you the post you quoted seems to be a clip from some crap Watchtower page I think the user found it meaningful and unnecessary to be changed in any way.

I think you mean 42 ;) (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?)

Yes, 42. Err... that's the answer to the ultimate question, not the meaning of life. I wonder what the ultimate question, then, can be? Perhaps that's how much wood a wood chuck could chuck or how many pickled peppers are in a peck.

taekwondokid42

Reaction score
Personal happiness.

There is definitely a deeper meaning. While I agree that personal happiness is essential to life, I also think that that's not all there is to it. It's about not only personal happiness, but also that others are happy as well.

Any_Key

Reaction score
The meaning to life is whatever you make it to be.

People of faith have found meaning in books and words written thousands of years ago that speak to them on some level or another. Some accept service to a God as as the ultimate meaning, while others believe that some individual plan has been set out for them by some invisible sky daddy and thus search for that goal.

While the question is ancient and interesting, I personally don't worry about it all that much and simply continue to live my life in the best way I know. I will have my own methods and meaning, and others will have theirs. While I respect the views of others I ask the same respect of my own views, nothing more or less.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Of course you are right, the answer to the ultimate question was 42, I added 6 due to failing memory. The search was for the ultimate question to which 42 was the answer. I, and many others, suspect that the question was 'what was the meaning of life'. This quote from Wikipaedia says ' the Vogons had been hired to destroy the Earth by a consortium of psychiatrists, led by Gag Halfrunt, who feared for the loss of their careers when the meaning of life became known'

Perhaps you only know the meaning of life when you are on the point of departure???

zen-r

Reaction score
.... This quote from Wikipaedia says ' the Vogons had been hired to destroy the Earth by a consortium of psychiatrists, led by Gag Halfrunt, who feared for the loss of their careers when the meaning of life became known'.....

I don't remember that bit, it was probably the twist later in the story. What I do remember is that early in the story we were told that the Vogon Constructor Fleet destroyed Earth to make room for an interstellar highway!

The twist which I thought was inspired, though, was that Earth was actually a giant computer meant to figure out the meaning of life. This has a perverse logic to it......

To my mind, there is no actual pre-ordained "purpose" to life, so if one chooses to live, it is best to give life whatever meaning & purpose that is most acceptable to oneself. As with some other people in this thread, to my mind the best bet seems to be to aim for a good balance between finding happiness for oneself, & helping others achieve theirs. Though, of course, happiness is simply a state of mind we have evolved in order to ensure perpetuation of the species!

What I find interesting is that whilst life has no pre-ordained purpose or meaning, its "purpose" if it can be called that, will ultimately resolve itself as life on Earth "resolves" itself ie. meets its destiny. I think this is what Douglas Adams was alluding to when he wrote of the Earth being a giant computer.

......Perhaps you only know the meaning of life when you are on the point of departure???

Maybe. I'll try to make a post back here if/when I cross that point of departure & let you know! ;)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.

Last edited: