Whats Ur Beef

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
This site is hosted with x10 on a VPS. Take a look at the site and tell me what you think. Right now it is running:

SMF 2.1 beta 2
EhPortal beta

I have started working on the theme, which is just css edits at the moment and it's not done yet so go easy on picking it apart please, lol. What the site is all about is ranting in general. If something is buggin ya and you gotta get it out, then this is the site you want. So tell me what ya think guys.

www.whatsurbeef.ca

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's not an article, just a load of gibberish!!

Something is causing Chrome to constantly 'do stuff'... using the dev tools to remove the marquee/scroller helps a little but it's still using a few % CPU constantly.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Are you talking about my site....what "stuff" is it doing exactly. Runs fine for myself and others that use it so far.

freezin2

Reaction score
I'm finding the scrolling Recent Topics a bit baffling. If I see one I want to click on, there is a fair chance it has already disappeared by the time I get to click on it. And I can't find a way to make it scroll backwards to the one I want.

Right now, the problem can be resolved by taking your cursor away from Recent Topics (so the scrolling starts again), waiting for the same headline to come around again, and zipping the cursor back over to click on it the second time it appears. However, I'm thinking that once you have more topics, this may be a rather cumbersome solution.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
You are right about that. It is broke for me as well. I will be fixing it soon enough.

Reaction score
Honestly pretty decent design. Not a fan of the colour scheme but that might just be me.
My main beef with the website is the logo. It looks like it was made in ms paint and doesn't really show the whole place in a particularly good light. If you want a comical logo I would recommend setting some form of stylized/cartoonified beef with the text (in a respectable font) behind or beside that.

Otherwise the site runs smoothly and is easy to navigate, so well done on that.

Edit: The whole verification process when signing up seems to be a bit overcomplicated. There's no real reason to have that much stuff slowing the user from using the site, the captcha type verification works well enough on its own.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Nice review, and thank you for that. The logo was done in Gimp, which I am not good at. It will be replaced soon. The color scheme was pretty much based of of coffee...or I hoped it sort of looked that way. Maybe I did not capture that right. the reason for all that is anti-spam. Those questions will change from time to time as to keep bots from having an easy time picking it. Thank you for the constructive ideas you put out. I will take it all into consideration. :)

Reaction score
Bots themselves often dont register the accounts that spammers use unless the verification is particularly weak. It's usually people that register, then set the bots on those accounts. Captcha-esque verification is usually enough to stop any bot registrations, and maybe have one extra question after that. It really seems overdone at the moment.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I will certainly take that into consideration.(it is a bit overdone but it being in beta (the software) I feel a bit safer.) Thank you sir for the feedback. ;)

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Captcha or recaptcha is really a thing of the past. Is there a bot that can't break it, lol. I will check out google for sure but thats another problem in and of itself....I mean it's google, lol. Ok, time to go, had a few to many. Night.

freezin2

Reaction score
I just recently switched from an old-style Captcha to the new Google Recaptcha. It has significantly reduced spam overall, and gotten rid of one particularly persistent bot that was sending me multiple e-mails each day.

I've also become a fan of mechanisms to reduce spam without human input. These include:

* Honeypot.
* Akismet testing of the submitter's name and e-mail.
* Field validation (e.g., this one must be a number between X and Y, this one must be an e-mail address, this one must be radio box 1 or 2 but not 3).
* Timed submit button.

My site at http://s94971567.onlinehome.us includes several spam checks, but the only one that requires user action is the Google no CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA. As a result, we haven't gotten a single spam entry, and we managed 238 sign-ups without a user complaint.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Well, I may have to look into that. Or make a modificationn for SMF for it. Thanks guys. :)