What's your favourite Operating System?

What's your favourite Operating System?

• Total voters

kestrel1

Reaction score
All OS's have their good & bad bits, but for me Linux wins as my main OS. Mostly Ubuntu, but Linux Mint is a close second. I use Windows & MAC machines as well, but always fall back on Linux.

hslim

Reaction score
actually i prefer windows 7 , whos so stable and optimised , concerning free OS open source i ve tried linux mint which favorite then other distributions

rickyvogay

Reaction score
Hi..
Windows..
Because Its really easy to operate and also the software are supporting for it... also configuration is really easy...

kestrel1

Reaction score
Have the above tried Linux in any format or is Windows the only OS they have ever tried?
Don't get me wrong, I like certain aspects of Windows. Ease of use by non computer types would be the main one, but Linux really needs to be tried to be appreciated.
Just my tuppence worth.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
The topic is a sticky in Crossfire, meaning that it is a continuous debate.
Ah good, seems I'm not the only one against having a duplicate topic... (And furthermore, the last post in that was 1 week old when this topic was posted.) And watch you don't get flamed for being observant :nuts:.

Have the above tried Linux in any format or is Windows the only OS they have ever tried?
Don't get me wrong, I like certain aspects of Windows. Ease of use by non computer types would be the main one, but Linux really needs to be tried to be appreciated.
Just my tuppence worth.
Most people just don't even know alternatives exist. One person I know thought that with GNU/Linux all you had was a CLI and no GUI...

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Just noticed this comment, and while you're partially right, you're also largely unright. The reason drivers don't work between XP and Vista is because Vista uses a new driver scheme; 7 uses the same new scheme, so drivers are largely compatible between Vista and 7. This is the same as most Windows 2000 drivers working on XP but not 98. So, most Vista drivers, especially ones written that comply properly with the standards for drivers on Vista, will work on 7; others will work, but may not work properly. Some XP drivers will work, but will probably cause system instability.

--- Mr. DOS

adm_faress

Reaction score
Windows, for one reason -> Visual Studio, I can't live, work without visual studio :p

apoorav

Reaction score
My favorite Operaing System is Linux bcoz it is compactible and No virus problem and good networking

tridge

Reaction score
I would expect Windows to lead, it's the industry standard...

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Just because it's the industry standard doesn't make it the best. Actually, it can be stereotyped that the standard isn't the best unless the industry is incredibly narrow.

--- Mr. DOS

ah-blabla

Reaction score
It (Window$) is leading, but surprisingly by not that much, despite M$ having such a monopoly which they also abuse. I found something rather interesting here (an "OS sucks-roles-o-meter) though...

Seeing as GNU/Linux is still a "bother" to install (i.e. requires effort since it isn't the default OS which a certain company forces onto all computers), it's doing rather well in this poll, and way better on the web in general, as shown in the link. Yay for all those with strong strong, safe, fast and free computers.

As an aside: I'm considering switching to OpenSolaris soon just to try it out. Another experimet for the summer is trying to get HURD up and running...

Edit:
On the "standard" theme: Read this: Steve Ballmer himself stating GNU/Linux having 60% market share of servers against 40% for windows... (That was 2008, and I don't know actual figures -- but this is M$ admitting a GNU/Linux lead.)

Last edited:

greatm

Reaction score
I like windows, and I liked Vista, though that is probably because I didn't have a sub-standard machine compared to what Vista should have been run on. I now have 7 and absolutely love that. I started off with some unix based system, jumped to win 95 (which was alright, didn't really care one way or another about it)), and then switch to one of thos iMac all in a moniter things and had that for awhile. After that I moved to XP and then for a very short while to a Mac OS X G5 and consider that one of the biggest wastes of money I have made in my entire life. Luckily, a donation a couple years later and a nice little tax wrietoff and I went back to my xP machine which had lower specs across the board and still ran programs like photoshop better.

I haven't tried linux yet, and have looked at getting ubuntu, but probably won't bother until I get a new computer whereupon I'll put it on my current one to see how well it works out with me. That is unless I use a linux system for a college course

I dislike macs, but I will admit they require less workt o keep them moving along then any windows machine I have had until my current one with 7 on it. They are great for grandparents who aren't computer savvy because of that reason, but I believe that the Mac OS's lack of anti-virus capabilites is going to rear its head within the next five years and Apple will have to rely on iPods to survive again until they get real protection on their system.

So, I am definitely sticking with Windows, and am interested in eventually seeing how Linux works out.

deathlyrage

Reaction score
Windows, Windows XP is fairly good. It doesn't have the problems Vista has. Duel Boot is the best.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
7 is really good it has some awesome features and fixes alot of bugs that vista has. Where vista is like a messy person 7 is like an organazation maniac. I say this from the view of a user and i also work on computers at work:biggrin:

jiasen

Reaction score
Windows XP. Although it doesn't have that much protection against viruses, it has much less problems then Windows Vista and has more Internet speed than Windows 7.