What's your OS?

shikuro

Reaction score
Different people use different OS's for different reasons, I know for the longest time I was a die hard wingdows 98 se user because of the backwards compatability with older software but could also run newer software. But i have since changed OS.

Current OS: Windows XP Pro
File System: FAT 32 (I know as a rule it runs on NTFS but there is a way to get it to run FAT 32)
Pros: Runs smoothly with minimal bugs, nicer interface and can be tweaked to be backwards compatable with some effort.
Cons: a bit of a space and memory hog
Reasons: My windows 98 se disk got scratchedand couldn't purchase it any more so I had to go with xp.

N

Nathan

I use GNU/Linux on my HP Laptop, Windows XP Pro on my two Dell laptops and Mac OS X on my Mac Dual 2.5ghz G5 and Mac Mini and GNU/Linux with Windows XP Pro on my desktop.

Conor

Reaction score
Windows XP Home Edition (family computer) I will be getting a new computer soon, whether it be laptop or desktop, and I will probably use Pro.

Rhianna

Reaction score
Dewayne said:
I use GNU/Linux on my HP Laptop, Windows XP Pro on my two Dell laptops and Mac OS X on my Mac Dual 2.5ghz G5 and Mac Mini and GNU/Linux with Windows XP Pro on my desktop.

Did you download the GNU/Linux? If so, where can one download it?

I have Windows XP on my desktop & notebook computers; my old Win98 conked out on me :(

I don't know if I have FAT 32 or not?

hoovernj

Reaction score
rhianna said:
Did you download the GNU/Linux? If so, where can one download it?

I have Windows XP on my desktop & notebook computers; my old Win98 conked out on me :(

I don't know if I have FAT 32 or not?

I would venture to say that Fedora Core 3 , or Mandrake Linux would be the best for a newbie. And you most likely have NTFS, not FAT 32 (it's a good thing, don't worry).

M

mezzyhandz

Im all in all for Ubuntu Linux (http://ubuntulinux.org)! :D If you still havent heard of it....wake up and smell the coffee! Its already number 6 on distrowatch..!

Debian based (ohh apt-get, what would i do without u?)......and Gnome 2.8!!
Sweet!

N

Nathan

I have used that somewhere before...not that good. I prefer P.H.L.A.K. or SuSE, sometimes Mandrake or Slackware.

Su2000

Reaction score
I was thinking of moving to Slackware Linux, as a friend of mine once suggested me, but Im sticking with Windows XP Home in my laptop (was XP pro until cousin reset it to home week before Thanksgiving). Other than that, I'm using XP Pro on my dell PC/Server, so I'm covered. (both NTFS)

Richard

Reaction score
Our family Pc uses XP Home, my pc runs mainly XP Pro with various versions of linux
(SuSE, knoppix, RedHat, Mandrake, debian)

I'm looking for the perfect distro for me lol :D

KbFr08

Reaction score
My fav os:Mac OS X 10.3.7 panther
my os:winblows XP, mac os X 10.3.7 panther, Red hat 9, DOS/win3.1 (1980s) :p
computers: dell (winxp), imac G4, powermac G5 Dual (mac os x), compaq (linux), gateway 2000 (1995) (dos/win 3.1)

i love my macs basicaly all i use is macs.i first was introduced to mac at my apple store. its so easy to use. i do all my artwork on my macs, pcs sit in the corner. planning to get a mac mini G5
My Imac
220px-IMac.jpg

Dark.Cobra

Reaction score
Desktop (built by me) runs windows xp pro alsong side SuSE 9.2 - which in the next few days will get a freash install & prossibly Gentoo Linux. Still waitin for Ubuntu to mail me my free cds =/.

Server runs Fedora Core 3, freashly installed and updated, going to be a game & TS server.

Laptop (IBM 390E w/ Cel300 [EEEW]) runs Mandrake 10

Richard

Reaction score
I got my Ubuntu Linux CD's the other day, I only ordered 2 but I got 4 Instead each cd pack comes with 2 cds one Live (run from cd) and an install cd. all printed and in nice packaging.

The company is run by a South African too :D

Dark.Cobra

Reaction score
I ordered 15 actually... Does that mean i'll get 30?! Lol

For live cd's, i stick to Danix & PHLAK, i've only recently started with PHLAK however. I've heard good things about the SuSE Live Eval CD, apparently its pretty fast for a run-from-cd.

Richard

Reaction score
I'm running ubuntu on a laptop right now. Its really great I needed to do zero network setup. yay :cool:

The only thing is that the laptop is not mine :(

Linux Rules!

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Im running xp home on my family computer and my laptop. And on my desktop im running a dual boot of xp home and linux fedora core 3

Sw1fty

Reaction score
Linux

Eh. If you want Linux there are two options buy the book "Red Hat Fedora Linux 2 Bible" by Christopher Negus like I did and you get Fedora 2 Core cd's with it. Not to be for $50. Second you could wander your self over to this link . I don't know if its legal but I would say if you are a cheap skate go there. BUY THE BOOK ITS GRAND :D