When will x10Hosting open sign ups to all countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There won't be an answer until it's actually ready to rock. Plans don't always go as planned, y'know?

I think that some of the teething problems with the automated systems (proxy detection, previous suspension correlations, that sort of thing) will need to be ironed out to the point that there are both very few false positives and maximum hits on real positives first. "The whole world" is an awful lot of people, when you think about it, and if it's going to take a lot of actual person-hours to manage the administration, it's not going to be workable.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Q1 is already over though and the changes still haven't happened.
with the isues (i.e. false positives) - I read about in these x10hosting's (and other) forums - about x10hosting's [ proxy detection (i.e. tunneling) ] and [ detection of previous suspension of current user ] and [ mod_security ] and [ varnish-cache ] and [ varnish WAF (web application firewall) ]- IMO it might be a few more "Q"s (i.e. quarters) before x10hosting opens sign-ups for all or any countries not on its current white-list -- but it could be tomorrow

Last edited:

superte2

Reaction score
Wouldn't checking into claims of false positives be a good way to iron out everything? I mean people are all over this forum with questions of why the substantial link bans and IP (proxy) blocks, but what's the forum isn't full of is answers or a good search function to find answers. Everyone gets this "post in the community forum" message, then they're told to put in a ticket through cpanel to make an appeal, yet cpanel isn't accessible if your account is suspended.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We're working on it still, the extent of abuse was much higher than we initially thought. We've done some silent testing where we've opened up signups to additional countries without advertising it to gauge abuse rates and will probably continue doing so until we have things where we need them.

I'd also like to note, we have up to 1,000 new accounts created each and every day. The amount of false positives we've seen is very, very low in comparison to the amount of actual traffic and accounts coming through. Although we've had systems in place for well over a year that were geared toward this goal we only recently started imposing actions based on the data. So as expected we did have a large influx at first from all the existing accounts being caught up in abuse matters that we let slide by during our data gathering phase.

Also, if you are suspended you can appeal it by logging in unless it's one of a few suspension reasons that we do not allow appeals on because the data for the infraction is solid enough we're not going to waste time arguing.

jensen

Reaction score
I fully support Corey's stand as offering a FREE service still comes at a cost. Why allow FREE hosting to eat up resources when in the first place it's already serving the community by providing it free. It seem unfair to blanket ban a country due to a few rotten apples but based on experience, it's only wise to keep that ban in place so that others who use it, get to use it without problems. The list of the countries banned is not plucked from thin air. It is based on data Not based on emotion. Very sorry if your country is on that list, blame those rotten apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.