Which Content Maneger?!

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Which content maneger is the best? I had php nuke but that was horrible now I'm going to update my site to version 2 and I want a new and better content maneger that is free and is very good! SO can anyone tell me which one is the best?

Richard

Reaction score
you won't find the all-in-one CMS but it think mambo is the most flexible because it allows for easy instalation of modules and components, its all done through mambo's admin interface

Maurice

Reaction score
Do we need to decide what's the best one for you? Personal opinion ;).

Otherwise, it's mambo.

Rhianna

Reaction score
prasys said:
Mambo is great

or PHP-Nuke Plantinum

Hi Prasys,

I would like to read more of your opinions about Mambo and PHP-Nuke (Platnum or any version). Linux Format magazine recently gave Mambo the most prestigious category of "Best Free Software Project of the Year." There is a press release by ClickPress here.
Some people who don't know the basics of Mambo can read this summary from the above referenced press release:
Mambo is Open Source Software. You can read more about Mambo at http://www.mamboserver.com and download the latest version of Mambo at http://www.mamboforge.net. Extensive documentation and information can be found at http://help.mamboserver.com.
Mambo is released under GNU General Public Licence courtesy of Miro International PTY. Mambo requires a *nix, Windows 2000 or XP server, running Apache 1.3 or above, MySQL 3.23.55 or above, PHP 4.2.1 or above. Users should be browsing the net with Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, Mozilla 1.7 or higher or FireFox 0.9.3 or higher (Firefox is best supported for Macintosh).

On the other hand, there has been security concerns about Mambo recently as well:
A vulnerability was reported in Mambo in 'Tar.php'. A remote user can execute arbitrary commands on the target system.
The '/includes/Archive/Tar.php' script includes the '/includes/PEAR/PEAR.php' script relative to the 'mosConfig_absolute_path' global variable. If the target site's PHP configuration file has register_globals set to 'on', then a remote user can supply a specially crafted URL to include and execute arbitrary PHP code on the target system. The PHP code, including operating system commands, will run with the privileges of the target web service. [1]

So after reading about the praises and the potential security concerns, what is your take?

Can you give a pro and con analysis for each?

Read this interesting article on PhpNuke Cross Site Scripting and Path disclosure Vulnerabilities

After reading all this information, which one would you recommend and why?

prasys

Reaction score
Hey Rhianna, How are ya...Okay , I took a closer look at both of them

wow both of them come really close Rhianna. I have to admit.They are some reason(s) which I like in Mambo compared to PHPNuke-Plantinum (and vise versa). For example , the ease of use (compared to other CMS out there) makes it great. I am a kind of person , who likes the menu to include everything . Without digging each function up to see what it does (Do you get it what I meant , for example If I want to search..I do not want to press Edit > search..I just want it straight). Secondly , mambo admin cp is fairly enough to use. You do not need to know HTML or PHP aswell. I bet a 7 year old kid can use that. I am not joking here. Really its that simple. But of course International users might have a problem , but then you can get "local" version of Mambo. The downside of mambo is , like you pointed out Rhianna. The secuirty issues . This where SSH/Shell/Terminal plays a part in secuirty. Of course for end-users , for them secuirty means a lot. But then they are many flaws found in Mambo (for example you pointed out one). If you have a big site and you are using Mambo. Then its kinda "uh..no..Someone hacked your site". This also goes same to PHP-Nuke aswell. Like I said both are open-source. It matters of time , before developers take thier time to fix it. Both of them have secuirty issues , yep.Even Windows and MacOS X has them. Every single software has secuirty flaws on it

When it comes to "user-friendly" then go with Mambo. But then if you a person who wants all the mods , all the goodies , and if you love to install mods , then PHP-Nuke Plantinum is the way to go.

FYI , let me put me into this situation. I am a guy , who wants everything to be up , no matter what. Then I would choose Mambo in this case. Many people prefer that because it makes my life so easy to manage it , but then one downside (like i said before) its hard to find all the "nice and cool-looking plug-ins". For example , with IPB you can have RPG Mod and no other board has this function. That's where PHPNuke-Plantinum comes. In other terms,

IPB = PHP-Nuke Plantinum

PHPBB/vB = Mambo

Do you get what Am I trying to say or not

Jordan Knezevic

Reaction score
Hahaha, looks like phpBB owns them all! :rolleyes: Good ol' phpBB, I was a member there when they were in their betas!

Drupal doesn't look too good itself. Half the sites that they say use it don't work. I wonder why... :wink:

nicholas

Reaction score
i thought this question has been asked before? :biggrin:

personally there is only 3 choices for me. mambo, e107 and xoops. but i think its up to personal preference and requirements. Any CMS can be useful if you know how to make use of it :smile: Even wordpress can be a CMS and any CMS can be use as a Blog :biggrin:

check out this 2 links for CMS

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix