Which Forum Software

kaiweilim

Reaction score
I personally think that phpBB is the best. Had been using it since it's version 2. I think it load quite fast and require lesser resource like vbulletin. Although vbulletin is a very good forum software. But sadly to say we need to pay to use it. phpBB is recommended for free hosting server.

SMF is also not bad. But the templates is a little bit hard to customise. phpBB is easy to use and customise. You can even edit some functions in it easily to work as you wanted it to.

Regards.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
I like vBulletin the most... It's by far the best, and my favourite.
My second choice would probably be MyBB.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I used to use Blogger, but I switched to WordPress. Now I can host my blog on my own site instead of having a separate Blogspot subdomain.

fguy64

Reaction score
From a user persepective. I participate in several forums, and the one that has the best performance by far is the one with the footer

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Enhanced with Moby Threads

I find the editor pane to be a bit flaky, sometimes it doesn't update properly in real time, but you get used to that. But performance wise, it is far better than the others, including X10, though I suppose that might be due to something other than the forum software.

Last edited:

Hauzer

Reaction score
Each in my opinion has a purpose.

vBulletin - I've used this to set-up a professional forum. I would use this if you think your web site is going to hit big.

IPB - Good, user friendly, easy for administrators. I use this as a second resort from vBulletin and also good for my administrators since it's very easy for them to use as well as nice interface. This I use for things like fan sites since it is user friendly.

phpBB 2/3 - This is a good free alternative. Though I don't like it much but one of the best free, if not the best free.

SMF - I've only used this once and for nothing really. It's got a nice interface I have to say if you choose the skins/themes nicely. I think it is nice, it's not been out long as the rest but it is efficient.

Those are what I would use them for personally.

iwaproductions

Reaction score
I don't know... tiger said it best though, SMF, one of the FREE installation scripts provided by x10hosting, seems the easiest to use IMHO. Also, templates are a breeze to add in, with only one big upload and unpack involved.

redivy

Reaction score
I don't know... tiger said it best though, SMF, one of the FREE installation scripts provided by x10hosting, seems the easiest to use IMHO. Also, templates are a breeze to add in, with only one big upload and unpack involved.
You should know, that it is the exact same case with phpBB...

IPB is my personal favorite. I disagree with Hauzer. If you are going to hit big, then it depends on what type of site you are using, on which forum software you will use.

vBulliten- For any business-related sites, or stuff like that.
IPB- For anything else... Pretty much.
phpBB- If you don't want to spend money, and get a nice forum.
MyBB- For if you are running more of a personal site.
SMF- For all-purpose, although, looks quite 'little' compared to phpBB

@Monawco

That isn't IPB 1.3. That is a copy. Forumotion tries to mimic forum software (AND FAILS), and does not host them directly. There are some IPB v1.3 hosters, such as InvisionFree, IPBFree, and more. Although you can get these hosted IPB v1.3, downloading the old v1.3 is now illegal.