Which is the best GNU/Linux Distro? I think is Debian

jastazv

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

The spirit of colaboration of the GNU/Linux Debian Community is the best example of how a society can improve life quality of people.

Thats my opinion...

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've voting for novell's SLED. But for those who can't afford that, I like Ubuntu a lot because if it's willingness to use some restricted drivers. It really isn't fun having to hunt down a whole bunch of audio codecs just to edit an audio file.

jbrenton

Reaction score
OpenSuse 11 is great for Virtualization if anyone is looking for VMWare.

Regards,
Justin

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Debian on another computer and I like it. To me, all the popular distros are good. :)

xaoskitty

Reaction score
...i like ubuntu.., hehe if someone's hard disk becomes corrupted i just plug my ubuntu live usb and backup files...

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
I think RED HAT Linux

Also i like ubuntu...and also i am ubuntu server on my personal network

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, so many different suggestions on which one is the best! :)

Maybe we can all at least agree on this: "All distributions of linux are equal, but some are more equal than others."

lol That's one of my favorite quotes. Can anyone tell me where the original version came from?

naguissa

Reaction score
I love my Gentoo boxes, you only can get problems with blocking packages on upgrades.

If you do a correct upgrade, everything uses to be OK. If something fails, forums are very useful.

Although, it's a metadistribution, no an usual distribution.

shervinemami

Reaction score
Ubuntu is generally considered the easiest to install & use for basic use, because it has a lot of people working on getting the hardware to work without installing anything, and its targeted to normal people rather than computer geeks. But if you are a computer geek (like me), then you might prefer something that gives you more control, like OpenSUSE or Fedora or even KUbuntu (Ubuntu but with a different user interface)

Cheers,
Shervin.

/dev/null

Reaction score
It depends what you want from your distro. You can't say that x is better than y because for another person, y may be perfect!
For instance on my desktop PC I use Slackware 12.2 which I would pick any day over the other distributions however I know people who wouldn't go near it! :)

shervinemami

Reaction score
yeah I definitely agree that no distro is necessarily better than another, especially when you consider how flexible Linux can be and how varied its applications and users are.

Some people want a simple GUI that basically just lets them surf the web and not worry about technical details, while some people want a big development system with a powerful GUI and lots of configuration files, while others want Linux to run on an embedded microcontroller with just a few MB of RAM and no user input at all!

Cheers,
Shervin.