Which is your best screen recording software?

Which is your best screen recording software?

• Total voters

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Though CamStudio is good, the ease of use is with TotalScreenRecorder. One has to purchase this to use and hence very few people review the same.While CamStudio is free and has nice features, the chances that many purchase Totalscreenrecorder kind of software is less.But to make professional recordings ..at high audio quality, ease of zoom etc..the latter works better.

Jennacide

Reaction score
Depends on what I'm doing, so like, if I'm playing a game and I want to record it, I use Fraps, if I'm doing something totally different such as recording a powerpoint presentation, then I'll use Camtasia.

adam0718

Reaction score
My Screen Recorder is one of the best screen recording tools. Records the screen and audio from the speakers or your voice from the microphone - or both simultaneously. It's easy to use, and records directly to standard AVI or WMV format files. Perfect for tutorials and demos. Download here: http://www.deskshare.com/screen-recorder.aspx

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm doing, so like, if I'm playing a game and I want to record it, I use Fraps, if I'm doing something totally different such as recording a powerpoint presentation, then I'll use Camtasia.
Fraps!!
Just curious..how is fraps different from camtasia..why is it special for recording a game?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
CamStudio. Not the smoothest of screen capturing software out there, but it does the job. For real-time capturing (60FPS recording) for example, I'll use VirtualDub's AVI Capturing abilities with a piece of software that allows me to essentially create a software loopback to my video cards via Directshow. For games, I'll use FRAPS (the crappy Free version) or the above capturing method.

Last edited:

Jennacide

Reaction score
Fraps!!
Just curious..how is fraps different from camtasia..why is it special for recording a game?

Other recording software take what they're recording and remix it, compress it while it's recording... obviously this is bad for your cpu and your fps if you're playing a game. So, Fraps is designed to not do that, and instead it just dumps raw video and audio into a folder of your choosing. After you turn off the recording in Fraps, it then remixes but still retains a HUGE file size. So, in the end, if you're gaming, Fraps is the way to go, whereas visa vie if you're not gaming but wish to record something, then I use Camtasia and all its awesomeness LOL.

I hope that helps to paint a better picture of what I'm talking about. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have ;)

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i use fast stone capture. try it!

supanut200042

Reaction score
i use fast stone capture. try it!
Fast Stone Capture is good I agree, but it's recording capability is very basic. Moreover CamStudio has more options than Fast Stone Capture since CamStudio is design for recording, while Fast Stone Capture is design for still-image capture.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

CamStudio can also record games, only if they're ran in windowed mode. Recording will work on games played on non-fullscreen emulators too.
Recording powerpoint with CamStudio works, from what I've tried.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i don't have any interest in games nor i record them. i only use recording software to record online tv. nd fast stone is very light nd doesn't give load to my cpu or slows down my computer.

daphne57

Reaction score
I think you should use some screen recorder, which can help you capture whatever streaming video and audio files on your screen, and it can help you record full screen. If you want to get the video to standard video format, it also can help you capture video to avi, so that you can export it to your portable device or upload to some video sharing website.