Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
My vote would go to Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I have never had a chance to use Macs much except in my elementary school. :D Maybe my next computer will be a Mac.

Right now, I have a computer with Windows Vista (I don't hate Vista at all. If there are enough resources available, its a decent OS), and another with Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual booting.

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I like the graphical interface of vista but I like the workings of xp, but im also looking into either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe my next computer will be a Mac.

Go for it. Seriously, I would go as far to say that they're good value for money.

~Callum

EDIT: Ooops, one liner.

Mac OS X is by far the best OS I have ever used. It looks better (hardware and software), it feels better (hardware and software) and is FAST. But I suppose paying £900 for any computer would result in speed.

Now, if only it were easier to develop for...

~Callum

Last edited:

meganetc

Reaction score
as an application developer i find that most of the developing tools works perfectly on Win XP ,, so i would say XP ... but that can not denay that Linux is Most power Full OS i Have ever seen

aliasneo

Reaction score
I wonder, have all the XP voters actually tried running Windows 7?

I have been running Windows 7 since it's beta stage, then I got the full version for free. I had previously been running windows Vista Ultimate since it's beta which I later bought for somewhere in the 3 figure range of Her Majesty the Queen's sovereign pounds. (or something).

Anyway, I tried running XP lately and I found myself lacking a huge amount of features I have come to be extremely fond of.

Things as simple as window snap, which you can't live without as a programmer on a widescreen in order to have two windows up at once as fast as possible.

The "Breadcrumbs" in the address bar allowing you to click and go instantly to any folder.

Libraries which I can drag folders I use regularly to in order to allow me to open them instantly from any explorer window with only 1 click, and when you're working on 3 or 4 projects simultaniously as I am and time is so critical, these little perks really save you some time.

I admit I still don't unnderstand the purpose of Desktop Peek.

Performance wise, no equivalent operating system I have ran will even touch this Windows 7 x64 build I am running, I have to use Linux regularly for which I have become fond of Ubuntu recently (I used to be a fedora fan, but I don't have the time to mess around setting up hardware that doesn't work like I used to) and Ubuntu just gets it done.

I do find myself perpetually coming back to Windows, aside from some of the important every day development tools I require only being available in Windows flavours, sometimes I just need things to run smooth and simple the way I'm used to and have come to expect since using 7.

Aside from that, my second favourite OS has to be android for mobile devices, but that's a whole different story, and very deserving of a Universe of it's own let alone a thread.

gflash76

Reaction score
I use Mac OS X Tiger on a PowerPC eMac G4 1.25 GHz and I WAS running XP/2000 Server on my now less-than-trusty AMD Athlon XP 1700, but my power supply (and motherboard perhaps??) finally gave out last week and now I will buy a more recent model to continue a couple of projects that I had been working on. In the meantime, Mac is the way to go for me. I haven't given Win7 a go yet, but I do know that every hard copy of Vista that me and my friends have will be used in a Duck Hunt like sequence.

aliasneo

Reaction score
I use Mac OS X Tiger on a PowerPC eMac G4 1.25 GHz and I WAS running XP/2000 Server on my now less-than-trusty AMD Athlon XP 1700, but my power supply (and motherboard perhaps??) finally gave out last week and now I will buy a more recent model to continue a couple of projects that I had been working on. In the meantime, Mac is the way to go for me. I haven't given Win7 a go yet, but I do know that every hard copy of Vista that me and my friends have will be used in a Duck Hunt like sequence.

Windows 7 is something else. As for Vista and Duck Hunt, I paid for Vista on it's release, Ultimate x64 too. I'll happily join you guys and bring along my own copy :)

pentium42006

Reaction score
My install of XP was over 4 years old and having many problems so I finally took the plunge into Windows 7 and am VERY happy with it. All except for 1 of my drivers were automatically installed and done correctly. The improved graphics stack allows for Aero to run without any problems on my small video card. Within a couple of days of installing 7 I found it difficult to use XP.

I'd love to switch to Fedora as my full-time OS but haven't been able to yet since I still need Windows for some software for classes. (Running the software in Wine or a VM doesn't provide for the best experience).

dotbot

Reaction score
I personally prefer Windows XP, because of extremely solid reliability and great compatibility. I think Vista is a giant systems hog and really irritating with about everything. Windows 7 is pretty nice too. I would have used a Linux machine every day of my life if Office 2007, my games and a few other programs worked on it. I can not really comment on Mac because when I tried to use a Mac I couldn't figure out how to click something...:tongue:.

luck31

Reaction score
It's kind of reassuring to see that no one has voted for Win 95/98 (at time of writing :p). I would vote for any of these: Win XP, Mac OS X or Ubuntu. :)

ruiqim

Reaction score
I personally feel Mac OS X is the best. I do acknowledge that most people are not comfortable with its interface. However, after about 2 years of living with a Mac, I feel that Mac is more organized and easier to use than Winows or Linux. But I'm thinking that you can't be an idiot, though. :)

RagnaParadise

Prime Account
Reaction score
I prefer to use Mac OS X over Windows. It's not that I have anything against Windows, it's just that I find OS X systems more soothing to the eye. However, I do have Windows 7 on my Mac just in case I need to switch over, and I'm spending more and more time on it. I doubt that it'll completely replace OS X as my main choice, though.

jackson4christ

Reaction score
Linux: Interface?? missing to me

In the poll Ubuntu option includes Edubuntu, Xubuntu,....

Yes to the second, I use Xubuntu and voted for Ubuntu. The differences between them are in the pre-installed software and with the desktop interfaces.

And are you insinuating that you don't want to learn the command line? What is wrong with you? :p I've been using Xubuntu for a couple of months now and love it. Software repositories, much lighter desktop interface, stability, not needing to run a massive anti-virus suite (that's a big one for performance) etc. etc. Admittedly though, if things aren't working (which the usually do) your going to need to use the command line to fix them. However there is a large community out there who's addressed or can address any issue. (Assuming you know whats wrong and needs to be addressed, I spent about 3 months getting a Wifi dongle's driver working and there's a problem with how the Kernal interacts with my display so I'm at 800x600. But these are both way worth it for the performance and resulting productivity increase from a lighter OS than XP.)

Dominus Vobiscum
jackson4Christ

cheezo

Reaction score
i prefer linux. fedora specifically.. by the Fedora 13 has been released about 3 days ago --
Fedora code name Goddard rocks!!!

Last edited:

Reaction score
I use Ubuntu most of the time, and reinstall xp when i feel like playing games for a few weeks.

nandifamily

Reaction score
I use Ubuntu most of the time, and reinstall xp when i feel like playing games for a few weeks.

what is this? how do u manage the pain of reinstalling things over and over again? u could just dual boot them and have the best of both worlds.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Right now I have Windows 7 Home Premium with Ubuntu also installed. For the Ubuntu partition I have virtualbox installed so I can run Windows XP simultaneously.
I prefer the Ubuntu partition for daily tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.