Which processor is better?

Greenguy11

Reaction score
I was wondering which processor is faster a 3GHz Dual core or a 2.4 quad core processor?

which one should i consider if i am buying a computer/server to host game servers?

so what should i look for more cores or a faster speed on a processor as far as being faster?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You'll be able to run a bit more with the Quad Core CPU for obvious reasons. The higher clock dual core is useful if you are running a game heavy on Physics, for example (Garry's Mod), but it won't help much if you're looking to run a few apps on it; a Quad will handle better despite the lower speeds.

Greenguy11

Reaction score
so which one would be better for hosting like 2 or 3 game servers at the same time?
the games being like call of duty,minecraft,TF2, counter strike games.

The computer/server would be only used for hosting game servers.

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
most games havent utilised mutli-core CPU technology yet, but for future proofing, id go with the quad, if anything else, you can always overclock the quad if you know what your doing.

pawcu29

Reaction score
personally i would go for quad since then you could also set different affinity for different processes and have more processes to choose from
Even still if you really want to get higher clocks you could always go for a better cooling and overclock the cpu.

gregory62324

Reaction score
I was wondering which processor is faster a 3GHz Dual core or a 2.4 quad core processor?

which one should i consider if i am buying a computer/server to host game servers?

so what should i look for more cores or a faster speed on a processor as far as being faster?

quad core 2.4 is faster

letapk

Reaction score

In general, everything else being the same, the quad core machine would be the better option if your server requirements are so heavy that the OS swaps processes out of memory to handle the load. Also, for future scaling up, the quad core would be preferable even if the dual-core server may be sufficient for the purpose today.

goosey1526

Reaction score
In general, everything else being the same, the quad core machine would be the better option if your server requirements are so heavy that the OS swaps processes out of memory to handle the load. Also, for future scaling up, the quad core would be preferable even if the dual-core server may be sufficient for the purpose today.

Yes, you have processing is spread over the four cores (assuming you don't mean hyperthreading) Reducing bottlenecks on single cores.

Reaction score
In a server setup more cores is always better. the concept is the same as a multi-cpu setup (but not the same at the same time..) the Xenon line based on the i7 would be great for a server, or a six core AM2 CPU could give good results as well. if your starting from scratch you can build a six core AMD based system for about the same as a quad core based intel, and since its a server the multi core will prove to be a benefit over the raw speed of the i7 or even i5 line from intel.

techman224

Prime Account
Reaction score
Processors today have a feature called turbo-boost, which turns off cores to make other core(s) faster if fewer cores are being used. You should pick a processor with this feature as you can have the best of both worlds if you just run one process.

Last edited: