which stream should my friend pick

dhruv227

Reaction score
In India when our 10th grade comes to an end we get an option to choose a stream : Science, Commerce or Humanities ( Arts ) where most people take Science or Commerce and some rarely Humanities ( cuz there is not much scope as in like science and commerce ). In my school we normally apply for the stream and on the basis of what marks we have got they put us in the stream. I got 78% and got the non-med section which i wanted.

My friend who is a somewhat average student, got 40% ( but he also suffered from Jaundice quite a few months before ) and plus the principal, teachers and I ( being his best friend ) and most students that think he does not have that capabilities to do science and the school authorities put him in arts ( where most children does not have a good result ), but the problem is HE WANTS SCIENCE AND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT SCIENCE REQUIRES AT LEAST 9hrs and SCIENCE IS NOT A PIECE OF CAKE WHAT HE THINKS of study a day to excel especially in 11th grade ( which is tough for all streams ) then he also applied in some others school who are offering him Science ( cuz his father is a big man and the principal would have something in her mind ) not like our school, as our principal has said "no" to science and as a matter of fact she also said no to science for his son when he was in 11th and the best part he doesn't know exactly what he has to do after school.

I want your opinion that should he take Science or remain with Humanities.
His positives and negatives :
Positives :

• He has an ok iq ( not a very good one ) it's about 115-125, not more than that.
  • Can easily get unlimited resources.
Negatives :

• He has an inconsistent performance in academics ( 28, 33, 40, marks of all 3 terms in maths and general science ) ( also consider that fact he also suffered from Jaundice )
  • He does not study regularly.
  • He gives more priority to his girl friend rather than studies.
  • He does not have an inquisitive mind ( which i think is essential for a science student )
  • You cannot find him at his study place but can easily find him at RPM ( One of the Delhi's famous Pubs )

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: which stream should my frnd pick

Well, at the end of the day, you gotta do what you like to do. Too many people make the mistake of choosing a career path based on money, or what their friends and family want them to do, and they end up miserable. But, you have to do something realistic too. I'm never going to be a country music star, because I don't have any of the required talents.

I don't know what you can say to a person to help them in this situation. Tell him what you think and that's all you can do. Some times people just have to learn the hard way.

dhruv227

Reaction score

Well, at the end of the day, you gotta do what you like to do. Too many people make the mistake of choosing a career path based on money, or what their friends and family want them to do, and they end up miserable. But, you have to do something realistic too. I'm never going to be a country music star, because I don't have any of the required talents.

I don't know what you can say to a person to help them in this situation. Tell him what you think and that's all you can do. Some times people just have to learn the hard way.

i don't want to force him for what i think but since i know hat he is i tried my best for him that is easy and scoring. As per you ill then let him do what he wants to do and let him learn the hard way. Just pray for him that he passes 11th grade

hcbertsch

Reaction score

sounds like he should take humanities....

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

This is pretty much what I was going to say. At the end of the day it's his choice. If you tell him what you think and he does not agree then you've done all you can.

dhruv227

Reaction score

thanks everyone for the advice, he did not listen to me and his parents and the principle and the teachers and changed the school and took physics, chem, maths and eco. but anyways now i don't care as he is going to repeat 11th grade or he'll change his stream after 1 month or else he's gonna be a drop out or else he'll study 1 year science and then fail and then repeat 11th grade with humanities. wow he got so many options now.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Well, if I were his friend I'd probably support his decision, whatever it was. If he wanted to do something that bad and not listen to logic then fine.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score

Hey, you did your best. Maybe it'll work out for him. Some people just get started late in the game when it comes to school.

dhruv227

Reaction score

Well, if I were his friend I'd probably support his decision, whatever it was. If he wanted to do something that bad and not listen to logic then fine.

i have always supported his decisions, but this one i could not cuz his future is at stake and science is not a piece of cake as he thinks, i had my first test for 3 hrs physics, chem and maths - 80 marks each so total 240. i scored 80/240 while the highest being 120, if i am at this after soo many classes then how much would he had scored