Which Text Editor & Why

Which is the best text editor ?

• Total voters

manzoor

Reaction score
and Why ? Can someone prefer me a good text editor for text, programming and html etc

My friend will be giving out his CC and will buy one for me, So I want to choose the best one

KowKing

Reaction score
Notepad.exe for HTML.

Microsoft Word for everything else.

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Notepad2! Nano! Emacs! Why pay when you can get nice programs that do not cost anything?

Last edited:

deadimp

Reaction score
Programmer's Notepad for Web stuff, Code::Blocks for C++, JCreator (lite edition) for Java, Poderosa for command line (not really a text editor, just wanted to list it).
Free stuff for me.

Last edited:

manzoor

Reaction score
w0w no people use any commercial text editors
But in others community they gave me these choices and said they are good

Hmm... Thanks for your comments, I will research a lil bit more.

--------------------------------------------------- Manz00r

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Yep, I believe in opensource softwares and usually use Notepad in Windows and nano in Ubuntu....as Bryon said why use paid software when you can get a better one for free...;)

maikefutesi

Reaction score
I voted EditPlus but I like Textpad as well.

In fact, any editor that has syntax highlighting and block-indenting is good (imho). Autocompletion is nice as well, but not a must. (I like Dreamweaver's feature to close the last opened tag when you type </)

I think all those HTML-helper features are overkill, and useless if you already know HTML good.

(P-S: Mac = BBEdit and TextMate all the way)

Last edited:

Slothie

Reaction score
I'm a personal fan of Eclipse for most of my programming work, otherwise MsWord would do just fine

nakg0d

Reaction score
Omg.. I am simply ecstatic when I use TextPad... it really helps with debugging my programs.

mitamata

Reaction score
I use Notepad++ (get it here).

Works great, uses barely any resources, it's easy to customize, it's free and I hear it even works on Linux . It has everything I could ask for :)
I made it totally pimpish. Black background with pink, green and yellow text. The guys at work are all laughing at me for it, but now php is insanely easy to read and writing it goes a lot smoother.

Last edited:

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use SciTE Source Code Editor. Just havn't got around to setting it up to check php syntax yet.
Lots functionality, multiple tabs, line numbers colounm, output window and lots more...
(free)

For HTML the best I found so far was dreamweaver.

Last edited:

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

I use notepad++. It has syntax highlighting and some syntax collapse.. auto completion, supports too much too many languages (c, c++, php, html... korean).

Swiblet

Reaction score
I do EVERYTHING with simply notepad. It takes alot longer and I have to use many more references whenever I forget a piece of code I want to use, but it makes me feel much more in control when I know that everything I use was created by just me.

I suppose feature-wise, though, Dreamweaver would be the best for everything. Not that I would use it.

~~Ben

satbir

Reaction score
Editplus is real winner. It has all functionality of text editor + features like sorting at place, column select and manipulation, tabbed approach and so many others.