Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
You can use the Release Candidate as a normal OS until March 1 2010, where it will start shutting down every two hours, and stop completely in June 2010 ("non-genuine experience").

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I grabbed it yesterday evening.

tridge

Reaction score
I've downloaded it, but I havn't installed it yet.
I want windows 7, but I don't want to have to reinstall it when Retail comes out...

Going to be a year until that point.

What's nice about installing Windows 7 over an old OS is that it creates a C:\Windows.old\ directory with all of your program files and documents for easy retrieval after the install. I found this useful for some of my programs, taking and replacing their saved folders for some settings.

hezuo

Reaction score
I've heard that W7 is much better than Vista (anything is better than Vista). I have a Toshiba dualcore laptop running XP and ubuntu... I'm not sure about migrating from XP to windoes 7, has anyone tried it? Is stable yet? Has anyone seen bsod?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I downloaded the release candidate and installed it on a virtual machine. I can't say the experience went well though - it took a very long time to install, it sporadically froze during the installation process, and when I started up for the first time, it said that it was unable to start and had to scan for errors before proceeding.

mario222

Reaction score
I got it but hatted it. It was just like Vista. The running was okay but nowhere near great. I'm going to stick to XP for as long as I can.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
mario, what are you talking about?!?!

vista can't even be compared to 7. neither can xp. If you have to use windows, 7 is the way to go.

stef4001

Reaction score
I have installed it on my spare test laptop. it has e 1.7 celeron and 1 gb ddr 2 ram harddisk 120gb and x3100 video card(sharedmemory).so not s
trong at al.
On believable it runs smooth and is much better than vista now i installed it also on virtualbox the difference is frapping, try it on real PC and the function added or verry intresting.
I my self love ultimate edition 2.1 running on ubuntu 9.04 and i don't love microsoft but i wil say this it looks like thay are doing e great job this time,;);)

inishe

Reaction score
I registered for the RC (going to dual-boot my vista desktop), but I'm too busy to mess with it. Haven't even installed it yet, and I don't know that I ever will before 2010 (when the RC expires).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy it one day :]

phatfiel

Reaction score
I just re-dual booted Vista and 7 with the RC. Still pretty good...Reminds me a lot of Vista but with the Show Desktop on the right....Not a big fan of that...

coxclan

Reaction score
I actually got a copy of RC1 myself, 32 and 64 bit.

It runs fast as heck and for all it can do that's quite pleasing.

I've heard the goal of the OS is to leech users away from XP towards their newer offerings.

Also, there will be a free upgrade for Vista customers.

I actually have the OS running on a Dell Inspiron 1520 dual booting with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6.

Pretty neat huh? Let me know if you want to know how to do it haha... PM preferred.

pceasies

Reaction score
I grabbed a copy on the first public release and got a key (you go to a page and it gave you the key and link). I also recently grabbed RC1 release to public, but haven't installed/upgraded from the old one yet. The key they are giving away. It's a public VLC key, there's around 5 of them.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
I have the LEGAL release candidate of Windows 7, that I got from MSDNAA.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Of course we all have a legal version of Windows 7.

1. Firstly because we shouldn't have illegal software;
2. Why would you want to download a illegal Windows 7 software when it's free + COA code from Microsoft in the first place?

I got a 64-bit copy of the Beta and RC1.

gluxon

Reaction score
I KNOW!!!

Dude, this thing is awesome, it really is Vista done right.

Microsoft finally put the transparency in fullscreen mode.

It's AWESOME!!!

tridge

Reaction score
I'm loving every minute of my 64-bit Win 7 RC1. I will be purchasing this OS when it comes out.