Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

mukuld

Reaction score
I happen to own a Windows Vista Home Basic so I have got a key for Windows 7. They sent me it when I downloaded Windows 7.

I have used the 32-bit edition for 4 weeks. It's glassy like vista and much faster than it. The start up programs load really fast ( I was somewhat surprised after realizing this ). The task bar is really functional. Totally different than the classic windows taskbar model that run upto Vista. The previews are bigger and more live than vista. I didn't really used IE8 cause I use Firefox.

The flaw was with the Service manager. I tried to install Apache, MySql etc. as services but they won't start. "Not Responding". I reported using their feedback.

As I am a long run Windows user I am expecting a lot from this new gen Windows release. Hope it doesn't s*** as Vista.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
I happen to own a Windows Vista Home Basic so I have got a key for Windows 7. They sent me it when I downloaded Windows 7.
And you would have received a key even when using Linux, OS X, etc. Windows 7 "Release Candidate" is just free to anyone. It will get locked once Windows 7 is released.

Wolfhaze

Reaction score
I've been running Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop for about a month. We recently moved into a new apartment, so I decided to just wipe the thing and stick the RC on it and use it as a torrent/media machine. :)

It hasn't had any hick-ups; plays demanding games fairly well, runs better than Vista, and has some nice visual upgrades. It's a bit more intuitive, and by gum, they stuck a magnifying tool in there so I can use it with my HD tv and not cry my eyes out.

It did, however, have its first Blue Screen of Death today, but I think my roommate was trying to stick some archaic old hardware into it.

mukuld

Reaction score
And you would have received a key even when using Linux, OS X, etc. Windows 7 "Release Candidate" is just free to anyone. It will get locked once Windows 7 is released.

Yup. My Windows 7 will be expired on August 3, 2009. It's long before the final release I reckon.

rstat1

Reaction score
Yup. My Windows 7 will be expired on August 3, 2009. It's long before the final release I reckon.

Only by two months actually. Final should be coming in Oct.
Though mine doesn't expire till March 1st, 2010

Hauzer

Reaction score
The Beta ends on 1st August 2009, but if you have the Release Client 1 (RC1) it will expire on March 2010. This applies to everyone with either one of those versions of Windows 7.

Last edited:

rtarol

Reaction score
I use Sun Virtualbox to run Windows7 over XP pro and I have no problems so far.

Use the VM so that you can try Windows7 without formatting your HDD or Dual Booting.

Hauzer

Reaction score
That's a pretty clever technique rtarol, I may try using it with your method. Thanks.

jchillek

Reaction score
Please could someone post more information!

I have heard that with Windows 7 None of your personal information is safe from Microsoft :dunno:

How true is this can someone that has installed Windows 7 put some light on this topic.

Thanking You

John Chillek

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Please could someone post more information!

I have heard that with Windows 7 None of your personal information is safe from Microsoft :dunno:

How true is this can someone that has installed Windows 7 put some light on this topic.

Thanking You

John Chillek

It's not true. The only personal information Microsoft will really ever get from you would be either your billing information if you buy software from them, or your IP address which every website on the internet obtains. Anything else such as crash reports and such, just contains information on what was running in the system when say a program failed, or a program worked, etc. Same goes with the Customer Improvement program. Sure, there's always backdoors to an operating system, but running Windows 7, if you're really paranoid about Microsoft pulling your personal information, don't bother letting your operating system access the internet and do not buy, download, or sell anything to Microsoft. It's that simple. Otherwise, just secure your stuff properly and you'll be fine. In this case, you should also consider using Tor as whenever you hit any Microsoft server, your IP address is logged on their servers, just like any other server on the internet. With that IP address, someone can find out your exact location (using free services online, you can track someone/something down to their exact latitude and longitude).

Stop with the Microsoft paranoia people! Microsoft has nothing to do with your personal information even if they were to get it, and if they did use it for malicious purposes, you can simply sue them for any negative damages caused, regardless of their "arbitration" language in their terms of service.

Last edited:

pbmuja

Reaction score
Win 7 its quite stable. but the features added compared to Vista is not pretty much. I will totally use this once Microsoft releases their final version.

Last edited:

Hauzer

Reaction score
I've now installed Windows 7, it is very stable. No errors so far, it's a very effective OS, but also it uses a lot of the PF Usage; currently it's using 447MB.

pranit84

Reaction score
i tried it once ,, but lacks software support than vista ,my favorite games like NFSMW runs slow on that ( i hv onboard ATI X1100 on my amd laapy )

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
i tried it once ,, but lacks software support than vista ,my favorite games like NFSMW runs slow on that ( i hv onboard ATI X1100 on my amd laapy )

An ATi X1100 is quite a dated entry level ATi card. That might be part of the cause, but if it was running better in Vista than perhaps there's still some things that need to be worked out in Windows 7 when it comes down to some hardware vs. games.

notepadx

Reaction score
Me! its not as good as i expected, becuase it wont find my skiy wireless router and its anoying me, now i am trying to delete GRUB without the XP Disc thingy and its really anoying.

rebellion

Reaction score
I'm slapping myself. $50? Thats the cheapest you'll ever see anything from M$. And Its got many more features, and its a bit more stable that vista.