Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

drakonisch

Reaction score
I tried the RC of Win 7. While I do think it is the best Windows yet, it doesn't offer everything I'm used to with Linux. Only thing I miss with Linux is native running games. But until the game devs start developing for Linux wine will have to be good enough.

Although I am building a second computer just for gaming. I may pick up a copy for that one.

risket

Reaction score
I recently got a laptop with Windows 7 on it. I also tried the RC version but the release version made many improvements.

I'm actually very impressed with Windows 7. They've improved a lot of things that used to really bug me.

Unfortunately there is one thing they changed that I can't stand. When you're in an explorer window there used to be a bar just at the top of the explorer part itself that had different sort options and you could right-click on it and add/remove different sort options. Then you could click the different categories to sort them by that category (ex: Name, Size, Date Modified, etc). Now it seems the only way to do this is to right-click inside the window and go to the "Sort Options" menu then click on "More" because the "Date Modified" option is never on the list by default. The "Date" option is but I never really need that one.

If anyone knows about an option to change it please let me know! This drives me crazy!

mavr1c

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 and think its great! I run 98, XP, Vista as well and 7 is the hands down winner. Vista sucks big time (relegated it to doing nothing but backups) unreliable and bloated with hinderances nobody should ever have to put up with.. I would recommend Win 7 to anyone needing an OS.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
I update my PC to windows 7 yesterday....

It is really great

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows 7 is far better than vista and enhanced security features as that of server2008

tridge

Reaction score
Honestly, security has never been too much of an issue when it comes to OS's for me... Personally I try to be smart about the things I do on computers, I don't want to have that false sense of security (you are never safe no matter what OS your on).

I like the options Windows 7 gives for it's users, interface, customization, task bar, libraries, look and feel... plus.. I haven't had any crashes since I upgraded either, I always had issues with XP crashing on this exact same system.

I recommend upgrading to Windows 7 if you can do it cheaply and easily.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows 7 uses the same framework that vista uses, basically 7 is a better lighter and faster version on vista xD

Yeah you are right... I am using windows 7 on my PC and discover it much faster than vista and XP

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows 7 uses the same framework that vista uses, basically 7 is a better lighter and faster version on vista xD
But i have seen some User permission in system file missing in Vista.

meithan

Reaction score
I still use Windows XP on my (gaming) desktop, and Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop and work computer. Eff windows 7.

lessthantom

Reaction score
got my new pc and figured i'd try out 7 i was using xp performance edition which was super fast but 7 is pretty damn sweet. Although i have gone from celeron d to amd quad core so i guess it would be

-Tom

necteraaus

Reaction score
Anyone else grab the beta?

Well, I didn't get the beta, I was going to get a non public beta release off BitTorrent, but my P4 computer broke while downloading it :( Anyway, I downloaded the RC when it came out, and I'm still using it (I'm typing this on Windows 7 RC lol). The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 2 hourly shut downs from March :(

Last edited:

mac173

Reaction score
I got the Win7 family pack, and upgraded all three computers. The RC ran nice on all of them, and it was much more stable on my laptop then Vista had been.

I am well pleased with my choice.

kefka_asylum

Reaction score
i tested RC2 for about 2 months and it worked great

admittedly i was way above the recommended settings

and i turn off about 70% of the services and customize the interface to slim it down

but im also a student so i bought a student priced license of win7 64bit pro for $30

i believe this price has expired

been pretty busy so only this weekend did i finally get the partition fixed and reinstalled

i spent 3 hours configuring it and the updates have failed me...
that really pisses me off

honestly i will stick to windows xp/server 2003

linux distros i test a lot of them, rarely get one configured enough to keep it installed for long time
i also run linux through vmware and virtualbox so not a big deal about having a real install

my secondary pc with 4 40gb hard drives will have 7 operating systems on it someday...
i had the 4 40gb in raid setup then ghosted the drive to a secondary drive
then broke the raid and resetup the paritioning and reghosted the drive back over to the primary master...

yeah windows 7...
i played one DX10 game on it - DND online...
ran fine, ran great...
didnt even run on XP at all had problems with it launching
so i was glad i had that win7 RC2 sitting there to play my character!