Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trucki

Reaction score
I want to have FFmpeg installed on!:lockd:

You need FFmpeg to create Thumbnails and is suported by many Galleries eg. Gallery 2 / Minolta or vor those who uses Joomla Components Syret, RS Gallery und many more.

Thanks vor your Help

PS
I want anybody to vote because the only way to get ffmpeg is that many people wants it.

THANKS

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
It may help if you translate you poll into English, so that people who don't speak German can vote.

trucki

Reaction score
It may help if you translate you poll into English, so that people who don't speak German can vote.

Thanks I just noticed when I postet it and now can't change,,.. sorry

Ja bitte unbedingt -> Yes i REALLY NEED IT
Wäre nicht schlecht -> WOULD BE NICE
Mir ist das egal -> DOESN'T MATTER

SORRY:mad:

LHVWB

Reaction score
I fixed up the poll so that it can be read by english speakers, please always remember that your posts should be readable by english speakers.

Last edited:

thar2008

Reaction score
Yea, I think this is all x-10hosting needs, then it has everything.. and EVERYone would want to use it... more fatured more people, more profit (from advertising codes) ;)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

Personally I think this would be a _terrible_ idea. My reasoning for this is that x10Hosting have to keep pushing the servers to their absolute limits to provide so many people hosting for free. They're all under a lot of stress currently, and allowing usage of FFMPEG wouldn't help the situation at all. It could be abused by some users to kill the servers, meaning you get a lot more downtime.

And besides, you'd only need FFMPEG installed if you intend to run a YouTube clone script, which is against the x10Hosting TOS. If you jneed video converting functionality that bad, install Ubuntu and run 'sudo apt-get ffmpeg' to install it. Then Google for what the commands are, I don't have time to explain them all right now.

-Luke.

trucki

Reaction score
and if you install it an just special people get acces to it?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
No it wouldn't work. If you provide it to certain people, the others would point out that it's not fair on them. Corey and the other guys have to consider the limits of the servers and the risks involved with security and the like.

Not bashing anyone here, but you guys already moan when a server has to go offline or locks up or something, so why add to the problem and upset you guys even more?

Seriously, I believe FFMPEG is a bad idea. I can just imaging the chaos when someone chooses to upload a 500MB MPEG video and gets FFMPEG to convert it to FLV and the servers dying from loads of other people doing the same thing.

And you only really need it for video sharing sites such as YouTube clones. If you need to convert a video, do it on your own PC, it's not as if there's no applications to do it with!

-Luke.

Eclipse4

Reaction score
No it wouldn't work. If you provide it to certain people, the others would point out that it's not fair on them.

That's irrelevant since they are doing the same thing with the PHP restrictions.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I need the ffmpeg on my site. How can i get it?

You can't. Only x10Hosting senior staff can install programs on the servers, and this is one application that probably will not be installed because of the issues with it being abused.

That's irrelevant since they are doing the same thing with the PHP restrictions.

No it's not. PHP isn't as resource intensive as FFMPEG, and the PHP restrictions are there to protect the servers and your hosting account from abuse. You can ask for a higher PHP version at any time. FFMPEG however is easy to abuse, and lots of people using it at once would kill the servers. If you don't like the restrictions, go buy paid hosting with FFMPEG, as x10Hosting is offering an amazing service for FREE.

-Luke.

Last edited:

trucki

Reaction score
X10 hosting is the best hostingservice I testet yet.
So it's not possible to install ffmpeg so that only people who made a request can use it. So you only let seriouse people use it...

I only need it to get Thumbnails of my uploaded vids which saves me a lot of time if i can use FFmpeg and I don't upload too many videos so there wouldn't be any Problems.
Please install it and let special users have acess to it

Thanks