Why is Blizzard trying to phish my account?

phazzedout

Reaction score
I am not joking around, today while fixing my girlfriend's cousin's computer I received an email from Blizzard (WowAccountAdmin@blizzard.com) stating that my account is under investigation or something like that. The reason I did not believe this is because the last time I used WoW was 1y3m ago for only 5 hours during their free 10 day trail. Here is the screenshot of the email:

dssi.jpg

Do you see the link they offered, Mozilla Firefox will not even let you enter because it is a phishing site. What do you guys think it is. I think it is a newbie hired last week by Blizzard thinking that getting people WoW gold is much more important than feeding himself.

obereon

Reaction score
Looks to me like one of the many scam/spam e-mails I see regularly trying to get WoW account details for the gold farmers. If your account is inactive, Blizzard will not generally contact you, and when your account is compromised, the hackers have to change the e-mail to use it, so you getting those is garbage.

Just trash it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Post up the e-mail's header information for future use. You can change the "From" address when you send an e-mail. That website in the e-mail by the way has been blacklisted in my router for a while. It was set to resolve to localhost by one of my Honey pots since one of those received the same message and I don't own a WoW account.

If you look at the WHOIS information, the domain looks suspicious as well. http://whois.net/whois/worldofwararlft.com

Last edited:

psycrosis

Reaction score
If you check the actual email address of who its from you will see its not from blizzard and thats just what they put to display as the sender and the reply address or they used an email spoofer.

Last edited:

phazzedout

Reaction score
Wow really, you learn something everyday. I will reply to it see what it really is. It says @blizzard.com so I thought it was them. Thank you everyone. Some idiot thought will fall for it I bet.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
When in doubt, always check the Headers. If the email is illegitimate, something will not hold up.

phazzedout

Reaction score
When in doubt, always check the Headers. If the email is illegitimate, something will not hold up.

The link screwed it all up. Why would WoW need another website that is mispelled. I checked the link of WhoIS, I knew it would be some guy from China (not from a racial perspective), most of the coin shops are from there.

wongers

Reaction score
yeah, ive had a few e-mails like that (I do have a WoW account) and my ex's mam got some too (who doesnt have a WoW account).

i did raise it in several WoW forums but i dont think i ever got anything back, although i was posting around the time they were having massive problems with moving to battle.net. during that i some how lost my account.

was so funny, there was a huge bug where you were able to register any account you wanted by typing in the account name, this kid got like 10 accounts on one account and Blizzard were so snowed under with technical support request it took them weeks to sort it all. ahh fun times.

phazzedout

Reaction score
yeah, ive had a few e-mails like that (I do have a WoW account) and my ex's mam got some too (who doesnt have a WoW account).

i did raise it in several WoW forums but i dont think i ever got anything back, although i was posting around the time they were having massive problems with moving to battle.net. during that i some how lost my account.

was so funny, there was a huge bug where you were able to register any account you wanted by typing in the account name, this kid got like 10 accounts on one account and Blizzard were so snowed under with technical support request it took them weeks to sort it all. ahh fun times.

LOL it isn't as bad as a game a used to play called Knight Online World. The way their staff worked was unbelievable. I don't see how anyone could even see how this would work. Well the biggest problem in this game is that bot programs are an easy reach away, you can google search it and it would be the first link. So everyone would bot, you would know someone from 75 and lower who botted. It would essentially be an easy fix, just keep the developers of the bots at bay with patches to fix that problem.

It wouldn't work with this company because they were only the publishers, they could not modify, add or remove anything from the game until the developers in Japan sent them what to add. So you can imagine how later the thing would come in. Well it takes them about 2 months. By that time the developers of the bots would have upgraded their bot program to work better. Eventually having arrows to shoot out of a bow did not matter, you could buff yourself with a click of a button, you could heal your whole party while being AFK, you can even hit 5x what you should normally hit.

So when the patch rolled in, this is what happened. A window would pop up, "You have been disconnected for using 3rd Party Tools", all you would need to do is log back in. Eventually the delevopers would find a way to get rid of this and go on about their business for another two months, developing auto loot, auto party add, auto party delete (if character is idle), auto party add (w/ whisper password). Can you imagine this.

It is simply unbelievable how someone could run an MMORPG that is a harbor for aspiring unethical hackers (crackers). Sad.

By the way I botted two accounts to level 77 without getting banned. The cap in that game for level is 83... Accounts still not banned, but are just sitting there when they start to get their things in order. :lol:

silkje

Reaction score
ROFL omg blatent phishing account.. IGNORE IT!

If u are wondering why i agree its a phishing site look closely at the url:

www. worldofwararlft .com (i broke up the url so others DO NOT click it)

u play world of war ar lft? isnt it warcraft? or is there a new mmorpg on the scene? :naughty:

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
These emails are very common as i get about one a week its so annoying but alteast google marks them as spam :).

wongers

Reaction score
yeah, im pretty sure about 3 people already made the same post as you Silkje but nice going :)