Why is it so hard to get VB installed here ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimv8673

Reaction score
Ive tried many times myself and had other very capable webmasters that own VBulletin software try to install it for me, and it is just impossible to do it easily.
i own the software (its for sale cheap by the way) and just dont understand. :(

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Without a cPanel username and error message, we aren't able to investigate this further. I'm not personally aware of any issues installing vB normally, but without any additional information there's not going to be anything we can do.

jimv8673

Reaction score
There is no error message, the entire process goes as planned up to the actual install and stops at 17% and will not complete.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
What version of vB are you trying to install? I can attempt it myself and see what the issue is if I knew which one you were trying.

jimv8673

Reaction score
4.2 the latest version but i dont care which version is installed as long as it works. Thanks

By the way, i do own the license for the software :)

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I performed the following steps to install vBulletin 4.2.2 and got it to work (although it was quite painful and time consuming).

1. Upload the "upload" directory to your public_html
  2. In cPanel x3, go to the MySQL database wizard and create a new database and database user for vBulletin. Make sure to give the database user all privileges
  3. Copy or move includes/config.php.new to includes/config.php
  4. Edit that file and specify your database name, database user, and database user password that you generated in step 2. I've included the changes I've made below. In my example, I named the database "vb" and my user "vbuser". I'm also adding a table prefix of "vb_" so that I can install other things into the same database later on if desired
    Code:
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'username_vb';
    $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = 'vb_';
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'username_vbuser';
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = 'passwordgoeshere';
  5. Browse to your site, the installer should appear and prompt you for your customer number. Enter it. Go through install process entering information as needed. For me, the installer froze at 92% on Processing XML Step 4 of 9. If your install freezes at some point OTHER than Processing XML, do NOT continue with the following steps and instead let me know what step it froze on (include both percentage and name).
  6. Upload tools.php from the do_not_upload directory of the download into your install directory (so it would be located at /install/tools.php).
  7. Browse to it, then click on each of the links in the top two sections "Import XML Files" and "Datastore Cache" (only do one link at a time). If any of those freezes or hangs (give it like a minute first), reload the page to make it continue from where it left off.
  8. Delete the install directory. Your forum should be installed and ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.