Why so many problems on X10hosting compared to other free hosts

markhere

Reaction score
Why so many problems on X10hosting compared to some other free hosts.
Have a site with x10 consistant problems with speed and uptime and another host which rarely has issues same software setup. Why can x10 not give a reasonable speed or uptime. Granted no free host will have 100% uptime but even with all the numerous moves from data centre to data centre things do not seem to have improved at all. We hear excuses as to abuse which all free hosts have to deal with so not much of an excuse. Then theres the issues with plugins use them myself on both my setups no problem on the non x10 setup. So should not be a major issue again on x10. Are there underlying issues which x10 needs to deal with the data centre. If the servers are unable to cope with the amount of accounts then x10 should limit the amount of accounts it opens and maybe have a waiting list. Enough accounts seem to be terminated due to TOS so plenty of accounts can be substituted for these accounts.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a website on other host as well and there I barely face any downtime but they have only one mysql database for me, therefore I came back to x10hosting.

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I doubt any other free providers has the same problems we do. We have a lot of accounts, and we have a custom load balancer setup for each free server. The problem is we have more people signing up than we do having terminated, and as a base figure 50% abuse the resources. On average it can take anywhere from seconds to an hour to catch them (or before they get auto suspended). If you have about 20-25 people abusing the server, you'll have some slowdown's from that. We regulate that as much as we can, but it's out of our control. We combat it the best we can and provide you guys with a quality, free service.

Last edited:

nandifamily

Reaction score
the thing is: more people signup for x10hosting than with any other host. and since x10hosting has mire features like sendmail, fsockopen n so on.. some ppl abuse it. go out on the net and i bet most hosts do not provide anything more than php and mysql.

school2soccer56

Reaction score
x10hosting is actually reallly great, it just has alot of users and it adds to the downtime. But, I haven't really had alot of problems thus far.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
to learn or start, nice place. And when people get a successful website, then should move to premium. x10hosting is like a full version "demo".

skander.helali20

Reaction score
the thing is: more people signup for x10hosting than with any other host. and since x10hosting has mire features like sendmail, fsockopen n so on.. some ppl abuse it. go out on the net and i bet most hosts do not provide anything more than php and mysql.

i came here because mail + fsocket is open here and best of all .wav files and this host rocks! but, SLOW as Hell
some support one told me It's My SQL errors and getting fixed tomorrow, hope they fix it :-\

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
There are so many problems because we have lot of accounts to handle.Since when I become a member here I have noticed one thing that x10hosting is improving itself constantly.Unlike other free webhosts it is not disappeared till now, so I feel that this will be excellent one day.

nandifamily

Reaction score
There are so many problems because we have lot of accounts to handle.Since when I become a member here I have noticed one thing that x10hosting is improving itself constantly.Unlike other free webhosts it is not disappeared till now, so I feel that this will be excellent one day.
When I first came here, it was pretty excellent. :)

markhere

Reaction score
I do feel sorry for x10 at times as with all that is offered by them it could be a briiliant host but I think they may always struggle to offer what they feel is offerable but need to weigh up the extras offered on free hosting and if this is affecting uptime which is more important than most other things combined as without uptime a site is useless. As I write this my site on x10 has been down for at least an hour now. Unfortunate.

2travel

Reaction score
I just started with this host. Planning to have a site for Canadian nurses. nurs.ca

Do I have to be aware of some obvious limitations?

markhere

Reaction score
I just started with this host. Planning to have a site for Canadian nurses. nurs.ca

Do I have to be aware of some obvious limitations?

There are limitations such as the amount of mysql databases and resource usage constraints which seem very vague and can be tripped at any time without warning and you will certainly have downtime site unavailable but free hosting is ok for testing thats about all. For reliable uptime and more resources available paid hosting is probably the better option.

Reaction score
Look.. it's free.. and it works. and theres no ads.. and as a stopgap dump for probably dead sites it's superb..

I think the owners know this.. at least from the few non-spamcrap sites they get

so what.. a bit of downtime?.. if it pisses you off so much then just set up a surplus server at home and waste your own electricity on it ok? link a free domain to your home cable (or whatever) ip and away you go..

I appreciate this hosting.. the facilities and features for nowt are grand.. a bit of downtime (my site is on chopin.. he has problems) are acceptable.. if you want something for nothing.. go steal a gun.. then go take the dealers stash.. then run very very far away :D
Here I don't feel like I need to run away.... even tho I'm probably robbing the owners..

so stop whining and accept.. you pay nothing.. it works most of the time.. usually...

IF you want 100% uptime PAY THE DUDES SOME CASH!!!! simples.. yeah?

(not bad for a free hosting leecher eh?)

I'm a server admin.. but I can't be bothered paying my electric bills and putting up with the noise my pair of old sun servers make.. or I would host my site at home.. good show.. tally ho x10.. you have a renowned EU civil rights campaign site hosted on your servers now.. rock on gals and guys :)

hint.. make sure you add mixer to vodka before taking good mouthfull..... sheesh

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think there's another free host comparable to X10. Sure, we could restrict users to a super stripped down version of PHP and make anything other than PHP and HTML a paid add on, we'd be at 99.9% uptime no problem.

The restrictions on resource usage wouldn't make a difference if you knew them anyway; how could you check your current CPU or MySQL usage? How would you know the exact instant you're going to go over, even if you could check resource usage? The limits are, like most of the other features, very generous to a normal NON-abusive user.

Well, there's a reason you're all here and not at some other host. I've been on a number of hosts and they've all given enough of a reason for me to not only leave them, but to strive to become an X10 community staff member. If you take the good alongside the bad, X10 is a really good host. With time, when your site gets larger and the demands are higher, X10 is an even better paid host.

Reaction score
User banned for foul language and language filter bypassing after being warned not to.

Post nuked by Livewire.

Last edited by a moderator:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
We are 100% in agreement.. nice to see at least one intelligent person apart from me here

what really pisses me off (and it's a simple thing) is the captcha for logged in members..... surely as we have verified by logging in we don't need a captcha to post

I have sight problems and as a 100% linux user this crap is unreliable to say the least

should we take that to a new thread?

That goes away after so many posts... maybe 10-20 posts? It's been so long since I had 10-20 posts I forget :D

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The captcha's there because when it wasn't, we were banning 2-3 bots daily that were getting multiple posts in before we could kill them. Even IP bans weren't killing them.

It does suck yes, but a few posts down and it's all golden - it goes away.