Why the attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaceace

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that x10Hosting servers have been on attack for several days now? Why under heaven will "they" be attacking the best free hosting service around? Is this a "crime" of hate or what?

I am particularly concerned because I am on chopin, which appears to be the worst hit, and I was intending my site (that has been under testing) to go live this week (sobs sobs)!

Anyway, thanks to all those working day and night to resolve this. Is there anything the rest of us can do? I hope all these attacks end quickly.

Regards

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Read the server alerts...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We never actually find out why... my guess is it could be two different things. Someone abused their account and harassed someone else. Or we suspended someone for breaking the ToS and they're angry.

Generally attacks last less then a day, this is probably the longest one we've ever seen.

The attack should be under control either way though and have minimal affect on your site loading or anything.

-Corey

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think the server load would be helped if everyone set their scripts to show a "High server load, please check back later" if it gets above 8 or something.

Do these attackers create a virus or get a bunch of friends to start refreshing like crazy?

zen-r

Reaction score
As Corey said in another thread, these attacks aren't generally announced or discussed too much in the forum, so as to not encourage or give the attackers the satisfaction.

Since x10 has several servers, the attacks on just one usually don't have too much impact on the site as a whole, & the attackers usually just get bored & go away.

So why don't we just follow this good example, & wait patiently until things are back to normal?. :happysad:

We never actually find out why... my guess is it could be two different things. Someone abused their account and harassed someone else. Or we suspended someone for breaking the ToS and they're angry.
-Corey

Possibility No. 3) - An attack from a rival web-host, who knows that x10 is too good to compete with by any other means!

lhyman

Reaction score
Attacks happen for the reason that they can. Google, Yahoo & Twitter get attacked every day...

That is why we put Locks on our front door to our homes, if we didn't, anybody could walk in and do anything at anytime.

What can we do to prevent this?

Be good little boys and don't encourage anybody to do something bad...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much, so I'm going to close this topic as I think the OP got his explanation.

-Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.