Why they suspend our accounts. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Reaction score
because we (the hosting) want that you visit the forums once in the two weeks. You can unsuspend your account manual. (by entering your cpanel username on your site).

I am moving this thread to Free Hosting. Because it is about the suspend system of the free hosting servers.

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, for one, to make sure that you're still around and not just having your site on here when you dont use it and you've got it hosted elsewhere...

DemonicDemon

Reaction score
That needs to be changed .. I can see maybe once a month to login here on the forum instead of every week or 2 weeks . That would be better for us . Just an idea

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Its been hashed, discussed and reviewed countless times.
I don't think its going to change anytime soon.

rabid_c

Reaction score
Does the inactivity suspension exist for ad-supported sites as well?

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Yes, it does. There are 2 options, pay to remove the timer, or upgrade to paid hosting which does not have this timer.

fireexo

Reaction score
Yes, it does. There are 2 options, pay to remove the timer, or upgrade to paid hosting which does not have this timer.
...or something much better, go for a different free hosting service, it just can't get any worse than this. :gives:about us 'free'-users anyway.

hoschakj

Reaction score
X10 offers one of the best (if not the best) FREE hosting service I've seen. All of the features that they give you for free require that you only do two things, place an ad on your site and login to the forums. I don't see why it is such a big deal for people to type in their username once every two weeks to let everyone here know that you are still around. People that create accounts and leave them sitting, never being used are why the servers HD's get full and why the server's crash.

The keyword out of that entire paragraph is FREE.

JKoltner

Reaction score
You don't even need ads anymore.

And it's all of something like $3 to avoid having to login for a year.

I realize that even $3 is a fair amount of money for some people, but in that case... well, having to visit the "user community" here every couple of weeks as "payment" for otherwise free hosting strikes me as a very low "price" to pay as well.

As others have mentioned, accounts that are just abandoned consumes resources that other people could be using and can also degrade the quality of the service. I seem to recall that Corey or someone posted in another form that x10's free services having something like 6500 accounts, of which 1500 are suspended for inactivity? Yikes!

Last edited:

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
You don't even need ads anymore.

As others have mentioned, accounts that are just abandoned consumes resources that other people could be using and can also degrade the quality of the service. I seem to recall that Corey or someone posted in another form that x10's free services having something like 6500 accounts, of which 1500 are suspended for inactivity? Yikes!

All very well and good, but suspension shouldn't be based on a forum login alone.
If a site has continual traffic (ie >100 hits daily) then it's hardly idle so shouldn't be suspended for inactivity solely based on an unused support forum login.

Some of us build a website for different reasons and just because we don't log in and modify it just means it was built right first time.

But, Free is free, and for what it is, it's the best development environment I've found so far. (apart from the httpd dropping daily)

But when my sites finished and due for a paid host, I don't think x10 will be my choice. Doesn't seem to stack up as reliable enough.

booksgo

Reaction score
All very well and good, but suspension shouldn't be based on a forum login alone.
If a site has continual traffic (ie >100 hits daily) then it's hardly idle so shouldn't be suspended for inactivity solely based on an unused support forum login.

That's a bit like saying a paid host shouldn't suspend a busy site even though the owner stopped paying for the hosting!

nchgaming

Reaction score
Personally I'd recommend suspension, when no activity by the ACCOUNT HOLDER is seen on the account website (tracked by cPanel user name). I'm very forgetful and I'm SURE I'll miss that every now and then.
Signing in at least once, every 2 weeks isn't that bad, considering that they GIVE you all of this for free. And we all know that FREE HOSTS get targeted as venues for spamming, illlegal sites, and tons of other garbage, that RUIN our opportunaties. These activities MUST be policed, and the signing in is part of that protection!
I know I'm legit, but they don't. (although I do wish it didn't have to be that way)

*edit (ALSO, SO YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF KNOWING WHAT'S GOING ON, AND WHAT PROJECTS ARE IN THE WORKS)

Last edited:

JKoltner

Reaction score

Well, OK, it's fair to say that x10hosting isn't 100% free then -- there is the "cost" to log into the forums every two weeks.

But when my sites finished and due for a paid host, I don't think x10 will be my choice. Doesn't seem to stack up as reliable enough.

I think they're generally as reliable as any other free service out there (not that I've tried that many). In general any paid service (including those of x10 itself) is going to be more reliable in that there'll be fewer users on a server and fewer restrictions on bandwidth, disk space, packages, etc.

---Joel

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I have tried lots and lots of free hosts-but x10 is the only one which has so many features- ie: ftp, mysql, php, cpanel and site software. We should all be happy with the great service they provided us. I dont see why logging in here every 2 weeks is such a drag. It can be a bit annoying if your site does end up suspended, but you literally just type in your username and click unsuspend now, or open a thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.