Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshw14

Reaction score
Sorry i thought it was pretty plain. However a normal forum site would look like below, what i get is the mess as shown above.

rf4dUbE.png

freshw14

Reaction score
Ok, so is this issue being corrected, or will it be the norm from no on ? :confused:

caftpx10

Reaction score
Ah. If it's the actual CSS not loading correctly you speak of...

If I recall correctly, Varnish Cache (caching HTTP reverse proxy) would be responsible for something like this. At least that would make perfect sense if it were to be the case.
Hopefully this would be figured out soon.

Meanwhile, you can try disabling Varnish Cache's caching feature: https://x10hosting.com/support/general/varnish-cache
Please note that this would only stop content caching on the backend. Varnish Cache will still be there carrying data in and out.

caftpx10

Reaction score
and that is the issue - with or without disabling Varnish Cache's caching feature
If the issue involves communication rather than bad cached files being passed over to the client then... ouché.

freshw14

Reaction score
Ok, did the varnish cache disable thing, and hooked up to CloudFlare. We will see if any of that has an effect.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Ok, did the varnish cache disable thing, and hooked up to CloudFlare. We will see if any of that has an effect.
If CloudFlare manages to grab the actual CSS file (not empty) and caches it then you shouldn't be seeing this as an issue for much longer. In theory, that should really help out.

freshw14

Reaction score
Well, its run all day with no issues with the above setup. Now i have disabled both and see what happens. If the issue starts again we will know for sure.

I am surprised that X10 hasnt fixed this issue themselves, ive seen the complaint numerous times.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
If anyone sees a problem like this with static files not loading properly, it would be extremely helpful if you can try to grab some information from your browser's "developer tools" console from your computer. For example, a screen shot or copy/paste of the console showing any errors encountered downloading the website assets.

I am aware of an issue that is difficult to reproduce that can cause this, but we have not yet determined the full cause or a resolution because it has been so difficult to reproduce or catch in the wild. The majority of times that this problem happens it affects a website's file(s) for *only* the person who it "triggered" for and sees it.

freshw14

Reaction score
I think its also just native to certain servers Bryon. Ive been on a few different ones over time, and its not an issue at all on some servers.

I know an issue like this can be a headache, so i wont grumble about it ;)

freshw14

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ok, this is what i did to test this issue.
1. Cleared everything off my public_html file in CPanel. > No issues
2. Installed my Phpbb software using the installer in CPanel. > No issues
3. Added the Style of my choice. > No issues
4. Setup my first Category and Forums > No issues
5. Turned on CloudFlare > Tried to add another Category, when the forum did its auto refresh, it loaded the site with no actual forum just the contents. Nothing that makes it look like an actual forum was gone.
6. Turned CloudFlare off > everything back to normal and looking good again. repeated adding Categorys and forums and everything worked fine.

My conclusion, CloudFlare may be a good thing in theory but anything that goofs up my site is JUNK.

Comments ??

Last edited:

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. But disabling varnish cache only eases the issue but not the solution. The issue will still persist but when you refresh the page it will re-fetch all files and the chances are blank css files will be delivered properly and the page will render properly in the subsequent page load.

freshw14, there is no issue with cloudflare. The problem is that the issue amplifies with any caching server since it will be caching blank files severed by x10 and delivering them in subsequent page fetches.

I will try to fetch some info for Bryon as requested for any troubleshooting

I request x10 look in to this seriously since users disabling caching services will seriously impact the server loads for you guys

regards and thanks

freshw14

Reaction score
If that were for sure the issue, and X10 fixed it, i would gladly turn Cloudflare back on, but i cant see making my forum look like that just to make it easier on a server load. Sorry

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
If that were for sure the issue, and X10 fixed it, i would gladly turn Cloudflare back on, but i cant see making my forum look like that just to make it easier on a server load. Sorry

I have disabled cloudflare and added the no cache directive as suggested by caftpx10 too until the issue is resolved. Load times are longer since no caches are used.

What I was trying to tell was that cloudflare is not the problem here.

My last sentence was not meant for you but to X10. I am a another user like you

freshw14

Reaction score
Quote Nishan: My last sentence was not meant for you but to X10. I am a another user like you.

Reply: I realize that and appreciate your input. ;)

I have now disabled Varnish, I think, via my .htaccess file as well, but have left Cloudflare enabled, so far that seems to be working pretty well with no drastic slow downs.

Ive seen this varnish issue discussed in the past and nothing was ever done to address it, so i dont expect that to change, as sad as that might be. :confused:

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
freshw14,
enable cloudflare still giving me issues. I think its the Browser Cache Expiration setting in cloudflare which is 2 hours minimum. So when x10 delivers a zero file through cloudflare, the browser still caches it for 2 hours. So the page reloads with the same corrupt files. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.