Will DRM ever win?

melicous

Reaction score
Will organizations such as the RIAA ever win or does the idea of selling locked content have to change.

One example is that songs are brought out for free (myspace, blogs, artist site) so that the people who listen to them goto the concerts. This completly reverses the idea of first going to concerts then buying licences to play a copy at home.
Personally I see this new idea becoming more realistic as content is getting easier to copy and distrubute.

But maybe I'm wrong and the RIAA right
What do you guys think of the DRM system and how its been inforced, and what could be a solution in the eyes of the artist.

Last edited:

ASPX.King

Reaction score
DRM is one of the worst inventions, right there with sex before marriage... i hope it goes completely away, never to return!

a solution would be to have easier, cheaper ways to get your songs, completely off the internet.

theafterthought

Reaction score
Everything is getting much more open, and people are wising up to ways to get free content. I could never see DRM being successful, unless you had a dedicated DRM police force willing to bust your ass if you break the laws!

mattura

Reaction score
You have to win the support of the people or they will always think you are restricting what they see as their freedom. There is insufficient force and motive to prosecute the vast majority of copyright offenders, yet many businesses survive and even thrive on protected content. So the situation will remain indefinitely suspended as it is now. In my opinion...

HomerJ

Reaction score
No matter how well they try to protect their content, the protection will be broken. Laws are irrelevant to it, they will only be ignored.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
DRM fails. If it's DRM, it's not mine. Everything I have is DRM free, including everything on my hard drive (which means no games with DRM like SecuROM as well).

like2program

Reaction score
What is DRM? Would it stop me from copying sound files from one PC to another? Is it like copy protection? Seriously I haven't the slightest clue.

Last edited:

hopper

Reaction score
DRM (short for digitall rights managemen) IS digital copy protection
DRM is encoding a file so it only can run on specified software, hardware

a good example of the one of the first implementations of DRM was macrovision put in effect on store bought VHS tapes, try and copy a store bought VHS movie and you'll end up with a garbled mess of a copy
that is DRM, it is technological means to enforce copyright

the problem with DRM is it also prevents fair use rights such as the ability to make a backup copy of say, the cd you just bought for an exorbatant price (you are technically allowed to make ONE copy, put the original on your shelf, beat the copy to death and when that copy breaks, make another copy, in short by law at least in the US you are allowed to poses the original copy and one backup copy)

the problem with DRM is, as with anything, if it can be built it can be un-built so all DRM does is stop the casual person who doesn't have a clue but those who know and are determined to circumvent the DRM eventually WILL succeed not to mention you can put as much encryption on a DVD you want but if you are running a mass piracy factory that copies the dvd based on the pits and plateaus of a DVD instead of file by file the encryption is useless as it gets copied as well.

in short DRM will never 'win' it may be a step or so ahead of the hackers but hackers WILL eventually catch up forcing companies to spend more and more money on DRM making prices higher to offset the cost of the DRM development, thus perpetuating the desire to break the drm.
basically cracking DRM is a game to the hackers that do it and the tighter the door is locked the more intent they hackers will be to force it open, this is why DRM will never be a total success
drm is nothing but a game of cat and mouse and one upmanship between the copyright holders and the hackers, it is like nuclear war in a sense as neither side will ever win

Last edited:

like2program

Reaction score
I have copied VHS tapes with macrovision(yes they were just or backups). It's just as easy as ever. Maybe I was copying them wrong...

All I now is, if you can play your movie or listen to your music then there is some point that the encryption layer fades away and hidden beneath is the actual data. There is no way to make it impossible to get to or else they wouldn't be able to get to it themselves.

Last edited:

Mindbleed

Reaction score
DRM is kinda impossible considering illegal copying has been around as long as we have had the ability to copy.

When someone finally comes out with a DRM to end all DRMs, people won't buy music/movies from that source, because it will have to be in an extremely invasive format that people will hate.

hopper

Reaction score
as inter device communications get faster and faster (eg. the internet) . DRM may become less and less relevant anyways as digital content will not have to be copied, even iPods and home theater systems would simply be access points to digital media via the Internet as opposed to storing them localy amd that access to the digital media could be part of the internet subscription fee thus making local copies irrelevant

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Most hand held devices anyways already have Internet Capabilities with downloaders too. Take the PSP for example. If I pick an MP3 file download, it'll give me a prompt to download the MP3 to the music folder.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
DRM is the worst type of method of protection I ever seen in my life, if you bought a real time streaming video that shows different drama series... when direct downloading or video or music, it happens that a drm need to check with the server and you must have your username or password in it to successful view the content.... This is seriously bad for people who used temporary broadband services... and do not have a network connection.....

Even if you keep the DRM files into a safe place... a network connection is still required to verify the files and whether user is a licensed user that have the rights to use it.

Some may say broadband services are cheap now as they have different plans and prices for them,but even so having a connection... user still must constantly verify the video or music in order to play them all... Let's say the username and password had expired it will be the end of the user who wants to re-watch those dramas and listen to music.

Therefore I do not think this is working out for the RIAA they are just becoming too much and this will cause a greater imbalance to the music and movie industry because of too much hassle and too stuff to spend on just a thing and yet render useless over a period of time... They might poison the consumers industry of taste to movie or music....

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
DRM is the worst type of method of protection I ever seen in my life, if you bought a real time streaming video that shows different drama series... when direct downloading or video or music, it happens that a drm need to check with the server and you must have your username or password in it to successful view the content.... This is seriously bad for people who used temporary broadband services... and do not have a network connection.....

Even if you keep the DRM files into a safe place... a network connection is still required to verify the files and whether user is a licensed user that have the rights to use it.

Some may say broadband services are cheap now as they have different plans and prices for them,but even so having a connection... user still must constantly verify the video or music in order to play them all... Let's say the username and password had expired it will be the end of the user who wants to re-watch those dramas and listen to music.

Therefore I do not think this is working out for the RIAA they are just becoming too much and this will cause a greater imbalance to the music and movie industry because of too much hassle and too stuff to spend on just a thing and yet render useless over a period of time... They might poison the consumers industry of taste to movie or music....

You also forgot to mention, the only thing some people CAN get is either dial-up OR very laggy satellite service. Heck, in some select places, you can't even get T1 or ISDN lol. Otherwise, you give some good reasons as to why everything I have is DRM Free and I've paid for it as well. The only thing DRM would really do to me though is prevent me from backing it up, etc without me having to hack it out of the file (which I don't even know how to do anyways lol) or using some other tricks, as I already have broadband that is on 24/7.

Last edited: